Looking to buy an MX-3 GS

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Gfresh

Looking to buy an MX-3 GS

Post by Gfresh »

I have recently accquired my driver's license (a few months ago), and am looking to buy a new car. I've been doing a lot of research, and the MX-3 is a car that has really caught my eye. I am currently rolling in my mom's '93 626 Chronos, and am looking for some wheels of my own. The cars that I've looked into are the Toyota Paseo, the Acura Integra and the Mazda MX-3.

After researching the three, and looking at other cars within my price range, (roughly $6000 CAD). I came to the conclusion that the MX-3 is the car for me. The more I see them around and read about them, the more I like them. Infact the other day I got to drive one for the first time. It was my friend's brother's '93 GS, and the experience was definatety an enjoyable one.

After doing some more research specifically on the MX-3, I decided that I am looking for an MX-3 GS, 5-speed tranny, in any color but teal, and preferably newer (I like the interior more). Now the only problem is that I can't find any for sale! I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and I have been scouring the classifieds and the autotraders daily, but no one seems to have one for sale. The only MX-3 I have seen in Saskatchewan for sale is in a nearby city of Regina, but it was out of my price range.

So I began looking into other provinces, and I found a bunch for sale in Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg and they all had tonnes of the things. The only problem is that my parents aren't too keen on driving 6 hours to another province just to look at a car.

So I am left with the decision of waiting for an MX-3 for sale in Saskatchewan, or else buying an Integra or a Paseo. I really have my heart set on an MX-3, but it seems that the world is against me, j/k.

Anyways I'm just wondering what I should do. I'm posting a wanted add in the local newspaper soon, but if that doesn't work out I'm not sure if I should keep waiting for my MX-3 to come, or look into other cars.

Any advice on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Gfresh
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Yah the 94+ MX-3 GS can be difficult to find at times in my area too. If you can wait it out, one will eventually come your way. If that's not an option I'd lean more toward the Integra vs. the Paseo. I used to have a 92 Paseo and mechanically the car was tight, reliable, and handled great w/fantastic steering response. Also great on gas mileage since it's basically built on the Tercel platform.

What was not great re the Paseo was...

-That 100% hard plastic dashboard-ugh

-A moonroof panel that required full removal by hand to open it and storage in the car of the glass. Rainshower coming?... gotta pull over to install the glass back in...

-Front seats can be painful over the long haul. They have frame-support rails under the fairly thin outer bolsters that made my hips sore on long trips. Might not be such a prob for those with real skinny asses tho... didn't think mine was all that fat really. I'm 5'9" & 185 lbs.

-Back seats are a true joke. At least the hatchback design of the Acura and MX-3 allow headrm for avg sz humans to sit in the rear seat. Paseo rear headrm is so low that no person over 5'6" can sit back there without having to keep there head tilted down while riding, to avoid bumping into the rear window glass.

-Storage/carry space -Veeerrry limited in the Paseo. It's not a hatchback & has a very narrow trunk opening. Integra & MX-3 can carry MUCH bulkier stuff when needed. I often carry a bicycle or music equip or camping gear in my MX-3. Just not possible w/the Paseo, eg my 50 qt. ice chest wouldn't even fit into the Paseo trunk opening.

-My fixed-position rear-passenger-side window actually fell out of the Paseo once when I was cleaning inside glass & I had to reinstall it. Don't know if that's a typical prob though.

Good luck with your search.
Image -Jim
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The only problem is that my parents aren't too keen on driving 6 hours to another province just to look at a car.
You"ll have to work on them - promise them something in return??? Can't you catch a bus or fly or something? I mean you"ll have the MX3 for the return trip! Good luck with it - my advice is don't settle for anything else!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

yeah i would be willing to travel to a different province. I drove 12hrs to vancouver to get my low milage 95 gs. well worth it since i got a solid car for cheaper and when i sold it i made money. For $6000cdn u will find a better mx-3 than an intergra for sure. Good condition integras run around $12,000+. Mx-3 is also rarer and more fun. Alberta has quite a few more than sask so keep looking.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

also try ontario. We have allot of mx-3's and they are CHEAP! You can get a heavilly modded one for 6000$. And a decent stock gs at around 2500$
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

But be aware. If you do travel that many clicks to see a mx-3 make sure u do the following.
1. Dont rush it. Better come back empty handed then come back with a junk.
2. Make sure u KNOW what you need to have with u (licencing etc...)
3. Take it for a test drive. You need to if u plan on going back with it 1000clicks. Test to see if the cv joints are ok (i have this problem lol) Also check for a nice clean smooth engine. If you do buy it go to a local shop (in the area where u bought it) and change the OIL AND FILTER! Doing 1000clicks on an old oil is not good for the car.
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

haha man i would not count on finding a precidia in saskatchewan for a very long time
even if one did come along how dou know that its gonna be one that u even want
if ur wanting an automatic 4 cylinder ur in luck otherwise a gs is even harder and the majority of gs's are teal
and then if u do find a non teal v6 good luck gettin the price and a decent one at that

so i'd suggest getting a paseo or integra or if u got time just wait till u can make a trip to calgary when u find a really good one
i've been looking for a month and i have edmonton and calgary options but i'm insanely picking just trying to find a v6 standard!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Gfresh

Post by Gfresh »

Thanks for the advice guys. Waiting awhile doesn't really bother me, and I'm working on my parents. They want me to be happy, and are helping me out a bit in my search. It turns out my grandpa is good friends with a guy that owns Mainway Mazda in my hometown, and he is frequently bringing cars back from other provinces and cities such as Vancouver. With any luck I should have an MX-3 within a month or two anyways, and I suppose I could always go with the RS, or get a teal GS and paint it after.

Anyways Thanks again for the advice.

Gfresh
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

yo gfresh i live in saskatoon, nice ot see another guy interested in mx-3's hanging around here. I'm trying my hardest to find an mx-3 and its ficken impossible. Worst thign is i'm tyring to find one that les that $2000 cuz i'm gonna swap in the KLZE. Some guy from WSSL auto sport is gonna hook me up with a ZE for less that 800, i dunno if he's legit but we've been emaiing back and fourth. Good luck man. Also, take a look at autotrader.ca, buysell.com and newspaper of course. Were in saskatchewan do you live'? When we get mx's we outta hang out...i just got my lisecne as well.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

dont buy a paseo they are cheese and so are honda integras.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”