Window not working!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Blotto

Window not working!

Post by Blotto »

The driver side window on my car won't go up. It goes down just fine. You try and put it up and you hear the motor working just isn't moving.

I took the door panel off but didn't see anything broken. I've never worked on power windows though so don't want to tear into it too much.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Is the motor just worn out and weak? Could something just be off track or slipping?

Please give me some advice I'd hate to buy a new motor and that doesn't fix it. It is pouring down rain here and I had to resort to putting some duct tape at the top of the window!! Would like to find a fix asap before the duct tape starts making a mess of the paint and window.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If it goes down fine.. then it isnt the motor.. likely to be the switch. Apparently this is relatively common.. there are other posts with the same issue.

Tunes67
Blotto

Post by Blotto »

It can't be the switch though. When I pull it to go up the motor runs and puts tension on the line but very little. So I know the switches are fine.

Thought maybe someone else had the same problem. Maybe some gears? If so any clue where to get them?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Possibly a gear problem. I havent been into the electric window systems on the MX-3 yet.. But on my Subaru.. there was a set screw that kept the gear on the motor tight to the shaft.. it came loose once and I had similar probs.. though it was slow going down and wouldnt come back up at all. Just something to check..

Tunes67
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

well..It couldn't hurt to check the switch anyway, just jumper it with a paper clip, it takes 2 seconds. It also could be that the motor is on its way out. Meaning, yes it works, just doesn't have enough umpf to push it up without help. My $.02
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Blotto

Post by Blotto »

Thanks I'll check it out more when I get home. Pulled the panel off last night but didn't take the motor or anything out to check it just visually inspected it.

~ The window is choppy going down.
~ Can rock the window side to side while trying to get it up. Seems to be seated in the rails just fine though ><
~ Doesn't seem to be much tension on the wires when I engage the motor and pull the wires toward me a bit.
Blotto

Post by Blotto »

I finally figured out what the problem was! I took the assembly out and popped the cap off to where the gear is on the motor. There is basically a big/thick rubber disk in there which had spit. So the motor was just turning the top part of the rubber disk but not the gear. Right now I'm waiting for some glue to dry and hope it will hold it together. If not I'm sure that piece will be impossible to find.

Thanks for all your help though. Glad to know there are other ppl to turn to when you have problems.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”