Do I have a lemon, or am I just unlucky?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mamoo

Do I have a lemon, or am I just unlucky?

Post by mamoo »

I bought a 95 DOHC in January. At first it worked fine, but then the alternator died, and I had to replace it. Then the CV joint went, and I had to replace it. Then a headlight went, and I had to replace it. Then, just today, the radiator went, and I had to replace the coolant assembly.

I've spent a ton of money fixing this damn thing, and now I'm afraid to drive it.

Is it a lemon? Should I sell the damn thing? Or is it just a string of bad luck? I don't abuse it at all, but I'm sick to death of constant repairs that I can't afford.

I guess there's no way for anyone to answer without a look at the engine, but for what it's worth the mechanic said he thinks it's just bad luck.

Hell, the damn thing even got broken into in my building's underground parking lot!

I'm not sure how much more I can take ...
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

I'd say you have some bad luck. As for keeping it...thats up to you, but you also have repairs that come along with owning a 10 year old car. Mine has had a few repairs that I thought were expensive...but the enjoyment i get from driving it outweighs the repairs 8)
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Look at the bright side - if its 10 years until you have to replace them again you'll be doing ok :D
I wouldn't think those few things make it a lemon, probably good timing for the previous owner is all.
What would you buy if you sold it? Might end up right where you are now and some lucky punter driving around in your fixed up MX3....
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

well on my 93 GS SE replaced headlight bulbs, cv axle, timing belt, water pump, fixed valve cover leak, replaced spark plugs, new battery put in last winter, new tires on front, oil changes regularly. Its just maintenance items, every car needs maintenance, unless you wanna ride a bicycle, even they get flats
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

I feel your pain bro. Had to do a fair share of maintnance on my car since I got it, and found out the hard way it's expensive to be a Mazda owner. I about shat myself when I was told an alternator was going to cost me $215! Lucky I had the old one with me because they wanted a $94 core charge. Man, all this pain in my wallet and I don't even get a fancy jacket like the porche snobs..... oh well. MX-3's rule... don't selll her... but if you do let me know. Need a parts car. LOL j/k
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

I agree with the others. Sometimes, it's just like that with old cars. I bought my MX3 some months ago, and the auto tranny was busted, and it cost me a little over $1000,... $ 500 for a very good used one, $50 for a tranny cooler and $500 to have everything installed, plus a new filter and I've already spent another $500 on other parts and even more money on buying things to make my baby girl look nicer than what she was to begin with.
So, I say, just hang in there man.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

you should have expected this when you bought a used car... i paid 1000 for mine and i thought it was in prime condition, however if spent at least what i paid for the car in parts alone... but now i know that half the stuff in my engine bay is new and probably will last untill i feel like hitting a tree really hard 8)

i see it this way: if you sell this car because you cant afford to drive it, your not going to be able to buy a newer/better one... if you do get another car, you are blind to any possible problems. if you stick with your mx, you know what has been done and will not break anytime soon, so you narrow done problems and things that will be needing replacing in the near future. you pay insurance right? well if you pretend to pay a little extra every month, but put the extra in a little MX-PiggyBank you will save up a supprising amount without sacraficing alot, and when a problem comes its not so stressfull
1993 RS Teal
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Agreed, bad luck. Those are all things that can be near end-of-life components on a 10 yr. old ride. You just happened to experience them in close sequence. Plus Mazda parts are fairly expensive even if you DIY on repairs. Add a mech hrly charge for labor to have it done and it's always pretty expensive that way. Other possible end-of-life repairs might also include things like the starter, waterpump, timing belt but these would also be the risk with any car having similar age and miles on it.
Image -Jim
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Thanks, guys. You helped my state of mind.

In spite of it all, I absolutely love this frigging car.

Appreciate the support!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

its all about passion and love for mx-3 man. If you're looking to get your money back go buy a civic, if you want something with style that breaks as it gets old and needs some repairs mx-3 is right for you. Besides I get compliments on mine and its not even one color right now lol.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Yeah, I love the compliments I get (though it's white and damn if it isn't hard to keep a white car clean).

On the other hand, just today I discovered a transmission fluid leak ... $300 to fix :cry:

(this one was my fault, though, I think ... took a driveway at the wrong angle and scraped the underside)

Just part of the adventure, I guess ...
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

On the other hand, just today I discovered a transmission fluid leak ... $300 to fix
Man.. you really need to get some tools. This kind of a job is not difficult to do yourself and would save you well over $200. Invest in a decent toolset & toolbox.. Craftsman (not what they used to be but they are ok) Snap-on is excellent, MAC Tools are good. Or even cheapy tools are better than no tools. Get a complete metric wrench set, and a complete metric Socket & Ratchet assortment. Screw drivers, various plyer sets.. Granted your one time investment in tools will be more than $200 most likely.. at least for a fairly complete set. But in the end.. they will pay for themselves and then some. Just my two cents.

Tunes67
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

I've thought about that, but I don't really have anywhere to work on it; I live in an apartment building, and the parking garage has a lot of cars coming and going.

Someday I hope to have a house with my very own garage ...
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I live in a duplex.. so I can sympathize with you on having a place to work on stuff.. Though I have a carport that is handy.. my truck has been sitting lifeless in it for almost a year now.. (New engine being built) And since the truck is there.. no place to work on my car.. so I hit up friends LOL Take my car over to their houses and work on it there in exchange.. I help them do tuneups and general maintenance to their cars.

Oh and I forgot to mention one thing you will definately need if you decide to start working on your car yourself. A good shop manual.. those little chiltons $15 ones you can get at your local autoparts store are a complete joke.. but they are better than nothing.. and finding a real shop manual sometimes only happens with the greatest of luck and generosity of others ;) (Thanks again John LOL )

Tunes67
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Tunes67 wrote:I live in a duplex.. so I can sympathize with you on having a place to work on stuff.. Though I have a carport that is handy.. my truck has been sitting lifeless in it for almost a year now.. (New engine being built) And since the truck is there.. no place to work on my car.. so I hit up friends LOL Take my car over to their houses and work on it there in exchange.. I help them do tuneups and general maintenance to their cars.

Oh and I forgot to mention one thing you will definately need if you decide to start working on your car yourself. A good shop manual.. those little chiltons $15 ones you can get at your local autoparts store are a complete joke.. but they are better than nothing.. and finding a real shop manual sometimes only happens with the greatest of luck and generosity of others ;) (Thanks again John LOL )

Tunes67
My friend, you have spelled out my dream: a shop manual, a bunch of tools, and room to work!

Someday. Ah yes, someday ...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”