Ram Air?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
93SOHC

Ram Air?

Post by 93SOHC »

Bare with me here, as it is 2 am and I gotta get to bed. Before I go i thought i'd pop this ? out: Instead of routing my CAI into the fender well all the way I was thinking of running a hose from behind the front bumper, up to the cone filter, thus creating some sort of Ram Air. I know its abvout the same as the stock CAI, but the airflow would be a bit more direct...Comments? Also I was concerened about the rain water issue, but i'm confused cause a bunch of cars have a "ram air" setup and they come from the factory like that. Wouldn't they too get water into the intake system? If so, I find it hard to believe a car manufacturer would allow this to happen. If not, how do they get around the problem?
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Some filters block out water. There are also a couple of like water blockers on Ebay if I remember. I think this is what it is maybe http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=38634
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Yeah, that's the bypass.

I haven't ever tried to run a ram air set up, but it can be pretty difficult. The cars that I've seen with a ram air set up from the factory usually have holes in the hood or bumper that are nearly 1/2 the width of the car, and the air from the entire hole is forced in to the intake piping. A hole that is only as wide as the intake will only allow that much air into the tube.

But with my filter down in the hole by the radiator overflow, and the battery overflow piping removed which opens about a 2-3in hole, a decent amount of cold air is able to flow in to that cavity, and I had a noticable improvement in my acceleration after 60mph.

Go for it bro!
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
TEAMpK

Post by TEAMpK »

I have done this with a pipe for my intercooler...since I have it hidden. Just helps give it a lil more air. I say go for it.
Tim - http://www.TEAMpK.net (formerly known as pkmx-3)
94 MX-3 RS JDM B6T
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

i work at a plastic factory and am collecting some bits and pieces to see if I can make a duct that is the entire lenght of the hole in the front bumper. Got a bypass valve in the mail, still workin on figuring out how to run the pipes and stuff. Just thought i'd update a bit
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

That would be pretty badass... keep us posted on how that goes! :2thumbsup:
khrys771

Post by khrys771 »

theres no point to do it on a non F/I motor. the velocity of the air at high speed is faster then the amount of air the motor can consume. almost like creating back pressure in the intake.

although you prolly will see an improvement at lower speeds. a F/I motor will benefit more from this kind of mod.
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

khrys771 wrote:theres no point to do it on a non F/I motor. the velocity of the air at high speed is faster then the amount of air the motor can consume. almost like creating back pressure in the intake.

although you prolly will see an improvement at lower speeds. a F/I motor will benefit more from this kind of mod.
That's the whole point of ram air though. It's a form of forced induction. It may not be close to the effectivness of a turbo or supercharger, but throwing air into an engine faster than the rate at which the engine itself sucks it in is always a FORM of forced induction..

Adding a ramair setup to an already super/turboed engine would improve the power, but adding it to an N/A engine would also add a bit of "ooomph". Especially at higher speeds.
mx3tuner

Post by mx3tuner »

this makes me think...I think it would be even cooler to run the ram air through the hood like on the old gto judges....it would be really really hard though to pipe from a scoop in the center of the hood to the opening for the intake...plus it would be hard to fit in a filter...oh well just creative thinking...let me know if you have any ideas
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

currently i'm researching the whole bypass valve thing. The last thing I wanna do is hydro lock! You'd have to hav a pretty huge scoop for a ram air hood. I want more of a clean sleeper look.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Wouldn't be as bad as you think. You could use sheet aluminum to close off the bottom of the scoop and funnel it in to a 3" pipe. Then you could feed the air into a PRM Jet Stream Intake, then through the air flow meter straight into the throttle body. If you don't want to buy the PRM you could build your own cold air box around a universal filter of your choice.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

I think building an airbox around a cone style filter would be a devistating loss on this ram air setup. Ideally, the ram air tubes would need to be as seam less, straight and non-turbulant as possible. Anything that slows down this air between the scoop and the TB would be a huge loss in performance capabilities. Building the airbox around a cone style filter would just give the air a place to circulate and stall, and wouldn't do a ram air setup and justice.
mx3tuner

Post by mx3tuner »

i am definitely trying this once i get my ze...yea..i think using the sheetmetal from under the scoop, then bringing it into a 3" tube...but like you said ...it needs to flow straight to the TB, so turning it so that it would flow through the PRM intake would mess that up wouldnt it? I still think that this is going to be a tight fit, because if the scoop was in the center of the hood...the TB is in the center pointing towards the right side so you have to take the tubing for it to the right and down then turn it back to the left to hook up with the TB...and then you still gotta fit the filter in there somewhere...
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Yes that is correct.....but....compared to most setups it would still make larger power gains. Air doesn't like to bend. A VERY efficient ram air style would be an off center scoop placing it on to the hood just behind the driver side head light. The scoop you'ld want to use would be a half moon dip or leave it a full cone in the hood necked down to a 3" flange which the PRM filter housing would attach to replacing it's original curved pipe. Basically take a piece of sheet metal and make a large cone. Then yould slice it on angle. Lots of the Pro Outlaw Imports use this setup on turbo cars, exposing the compressor inlet through the hood. With the PRM attached directly to it you'ld have a straight line flow path up untill the throttle body. I'd recommend breaking the 90* bend into a couple of smaller bends....at least into two 45* bends or what ever it takes, which would reduce flow restriction. There are TONS of different ways to do this. As far as the air box...Take a look at the Comptech Ice Box...I'm sure you've heard of it.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

It's a clean intake for sure, little small on the opening in the bumper for a ram air setup, but it definatly goes a lot further than a regular ram intake does.

However, one of these could be fashioned from just the regular air box that came with our cars. Just have metal fabricated between where the box attatched to the intake hose and have another tube connected where the air goes in, running that tube to where ever. Replace filter with true K&N performance filter and viola! They're kinda expensive.

Return to “Forced Induction”