Car stuck in shop. NEED HELP!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Robotaz

Car stuck in shop. NEED HELP!

Post by Robotaz »

I have a 93 GS auto in the shop and the wrong ball joints have come for the third time. They are ordering from the Mazda dealer using the car's VIN and they are always wrong. My car's been in the shop for over a week b/c of these stupid F$%#ing ball joints. Does anybody have a clue what the problem is?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ok...i knoe im dumb but.. the ball joints are the ones inside the cv joint right? get the whole shaft.. unless I got nthe wrong part going on here..?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

Ball joints are at the bottom of the control are and don't connect to drive axles at all.
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

why dont you take the old ball joint and go to a parts store or the dealer and compare the original part with other ones from mazda and find the right one......i know there was a problem with ball joints being different from 92-93 being different from 94 +
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

did you change your dash to the 94+ style without putting your old vin back onto the new dash? just a thought that could explain why they're bringing in the 94+ ball bearings.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

No style change on the dash. I will call and check the VIN though. As far as comparing the ball joints, I am 100 miles from the dealer and can't do that. They are delivering them to the mechanic. You'd think that the Mazda idiot, i mean delivery person, would figure that out after driving back and forth, but then again...
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

OK, according to the Mazda dealer, 92 ball joints carried over only so far into the 93 year. He said that the first two shipments were executed by a moron that didn't bother checking what the asterisk was next to the part number that tells about some 93s needing 92 ball joints. I still have to pay the shipping to my mechanic which really ticks me off. The hickory hollow Mazda dealer in Nashville, TN is the only one out of many, many that i've called that is competent by the way. Most parts people seem to not enjoy their jobs for some reason. Full benefits for sitting down all day drinking coffee doesn't sound too tough to me, but what do i know?
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i think mazda should pick up the tab for sending you the wrong part, & whats up with the dealer ordering from the dealer, when a parts suppliers have the same part
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Same thing happened to me. The ball joint they are giving you prolly slightly too big to fit the hole. That was what my problem was. But I picked them up myself, so I was able to show them...
No more MX-3.
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

Is there anyway you could provide a part number for me, because you definitely had the exact problem as me? Regarding my post about the 92 and 93 part issue, it is continuing. I finally told the mechanics to put it back together so I could pick it up. Now the ball joint is popping on one side. This is so much fun. My car sits 3 wks out of every month. I'm mad and just want the car fixed right for a change.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

What is actually wrong with the ball joint? I saw that mine was crushed and the boot was torn, so I changed it out. It's not even a hard job to do on your own. Make sure you have a good jack, and jack stands are even better. And maybe a big rachet and a makeshift breaker bar, since the bolts on mine were rusted to heck and back. But really, it's not that more difficult than maybe changing your brake pads, ha ha. So, if you can get away with it, take the ball joint off and go to your local Mazda dealer and physically show them what you wan.t It's cheaper to do it yourself.
No more MX-3.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Just in case I cannot help you, check these guys out. Maybe they can figure it out:

http://www.mazdapartscheap.com/

Be sure to call them to get the best results.

603-436-6811
No more MX-3.
Robotaz

Post by Robotaz »

I appreciate your help. I emailed them and will be calling monday.
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

I had this EXACT same problem. Tell the shop to order ball joints from the 94' mazda protege. Im' 110% sure this will work. I experiend the exact same problem as you.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”