Overheating QUICK

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
sapper

Overheating QUICK

Post by sapper »

I was on my way to buy some groceries, and I noticed my thermostat was almost in the red. I knew I war running low on oil. (at the low part of the dip stick) so I pulled in to a gas station right away, and it ate up a full quart of oil. I drove around a bit more to get everything lubed up, but the temps are still rising.

I have plenty of water in my rad, the engine is fully topped off with oil, so is it possible my thermostat has gone? How can you tell if it is or not? What else could it be?

Its a 94 GS by the way
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Sure sounds like your thermostat needs replacing as it has stuck shut and will no longer open to allow coolant to circulate as temps rise. No way to be sure without replacing it, although you can remove the old thermo and place it in a pot of water, heat to boiling and see if it opens. Of course, since ya have to remove it for that kind of test, you should just go ahead and replace it for a few $ cost anyway.
Image -Jim
sapper

Post by sapper »

Well, I found the problem. I dont know how this happened, probably have a leak in the cooling system somewhere but theres no signs of it where I park. I was almost completly out of coolant. The res was up to the full line, but I decided to take the rad cap off and just start pouring in water from a two lieter jug with the car running. It took pretty much the entire thing. My coolant hoses were soft when the car was running before, but harded right up after putting more water and antifreeze in. Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it.
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”