is the 1.6 sohc really that bad?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
johnboi85

Re: Ok just never mind till I get proof...

Post by johnboi85 »

prototype wrote: So after it's finished, if one of you stock BPers want to race me go ahead, you'll be begging me to slow down.

i just want to leave you with one more to think about.

one thing that really frustrates me is how you don't seem to figure out what the bp is capable of? for the money you'll be spending, you could've allready had the bp with better gains. i loved my sohc when i first got it and i put a lot of money into it. that was back when i had my head up my a-- thinking my sohc is invincible. wise up and get a bp. you won't be dissapointed.

sohc :( :arrow: bp :driver:

now go and get a bp :2thumbsup:
bp mx-3
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I've had my 93 RS since 98. It's power doesn't bother me. But then, I'm not a kid trying to race everyone for respect. The gas mileage is the best feature, considering I'm paying $2.70 a gallon right now. I drive it 70 miles a day.

Yes, it's alot slower than my GSDE, but why would you own an RS if all you want to do is race people? I think these cars have been built as good as Toyotas to last, and I'm glad I've own my RS.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

If you don't believe me that's your business, but I'll be happy to get some proof
From, prototype.

I'm really not trying to hate. But I'm losing to cars that you say you can keep up with and/or beat, and your motor has less power and mods than my B6DE. I would like to see the proof. V-6 Mustang=190hp stock. MX-3 SOHC= 88hp stock. Even for a Mustang with quite a few pounds on you that is still a huge advantage, and yeah, my girl makes me look like a wanna be just by mashing on her throttle.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

freyguy_412 wrote:
If you don't believe me that's your business, but I'll be happy to get some proof
From, prototype.

I'm really not trying to hate. But I'm losing to cars that you say you can keep up with and/or beat, and your motor has less power and mods than my B6DE. I would like to see the proof. V-6 Mustang=190hp stock. MX-3 SOHC= 88hp stock. Even for a Mustang with quite a few pounds on you that is still a huge advantage, and yeah, my girl makes me look like a wanna be just by mashing on her throttle.
No v-6 mustang is 185 WHP and SOHC MX-3 is 67WHP. So unless their engine blew up... ya know.... uso!
prototype

Post by prototype »

Well I wanna thank everyone for toning down a bit. We need to all BAND TOGETHER to get some respect out of the import scene...

I know that the BP is better but I don't have the downtime to do an engine swap, cause I drive my car pretty much every day. :| If I had another car to drive then hell yes I'd do the swap! But I don't have the money for two cars nor the time to swap into the car I got,... so I'm just gonna kick the SOHC and see what it can do lol. It's not a slow car by my means, at least not compared with lots of other cars on the road that people try to make perform, so I think I"m starting with a relatively decent platform, though it's not the best, not even nearly, but it's not so bad! Compared to the BP yes it is bad, but compared to a CRX, Civic, Neon, etc. it's really an ok start. :)

:D
1992 MX-3 SOHC 1.6

15" 5 spoke star wheels with 195x50 Futura sport tires. Solid filled Poly Urethane motor mounts. Short throw shifter, aluminum and carbon fiber shift knob. Ebay Cold Air Intake, 2" Custom Cat Back exhaust with Glass pack muffler and 3" slant chrome tip. Dual 10" JBL's with Kenwood amp with neon pulsating light, dual 6x9's in carpeted box, Clarion head unit. Custom blue/black interior.
h8ter

Post by h8ter »

93SOHC wrote:I will admit my SOHC is slow as hell, but at $2.35 a gallon i'm glad I don't have a V8. BP coming soon...
Me too, who needs super fast when you squeeze out close to 35 mpg. I'm slow and loving it. All the way to the bank. Wanna really go fast? Buy a bike, best bang for the buck in the performance arena.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I wouldn't say the BP is better it is just bigger. If push come to shove I would actually pick a B5-ZE because it has the broad flat torque curve of the 8V SOHC's and on paper it has the peak hp of the BP. I say on paper became Mazda over rated the power specs of the BP which legal action in several countries has confirmed where as the '97-98 B5-ZE were under rated and on a dyno pump out 112-115hp at the wheels from a bone stock engine. (averaging 12 cars from 3 different chapters of the B5 club). Eveything you can do to a BP you can do to the B5-ZE and then some.

Getting back to the SOHC just by nature of the design it will never deliver high HP numbers. SOHC are low end torques for moving the largest mass with the smaller displacement engine. At the same time the B6 SOHC is a child of mid 80's technology and a few simple changes will make a big difference the biggest problem is that none of these changes are available as bolt on parts. I have a (8V) B6 SOHC that is making over 91hp at the wheels now, for the cost of approx $400-500 and much of that is for maintenance items that were worn and need to be replaced anyway. So the difference between the stock replacement parts and the cost of the upgrades probably reduced this amount to about $200 more that what I would have spent anyway with about 30% of that being welding and cutting consumables. The secret is to increase the velocity of the intake air. improve the spark event and increase the scavenging effect on the exhaust side. This is one of those cases of bigger is not necessarily better. In many cases I have gone smaller to get these HP numbers. The most important thing is I didn't loose bottom end torque and peak torque numbers are equal to a BP but over a broader rpm range. On the street torque is more important peak HP for accelerating away from a stop, merging in to traffic and make quick lane changes.
prototype wrote:Well I wanna thank everyone for toning down a bit. We need to all BAND TOGETHER to get some respect out of the import scene...

I know that the BP is better but I don't have the downtime to do an engine swap, cause I drive my car pretty much every day. :| If I had another car to drive then hell yes I'd do the swap! But I don't have the money for two cars nor the time to swap into the car I got,... so I'm just gonna kick the SOHC and see what it can do lol. It's not a slow car by my means, at least not compared with lots of other cars on the road that people try to make perform, so I think I"m starting with a relatively decent platform, though it's not the best, not even nearly, but it's not so bad! Compared to the BP yes it is bad, but compared to a CRX, Civic, Neon, etc. it's really an ok start. :)

:D
Bigg E

Post by Bigg E »

Well ya you guys should tone it down I agree. I got a 1.6 DOHC all stock just lowered,exhaust and 17 inch rims witch slow you down and I have had my fair share of races

I raced with one of my buddies a 98 Dodge Ram exstended cab V-8 Magnum and beat him by like a car length I talked to him after and he even said " dam that litttle thing goes."

I have raced my buddies 96 Cavieler 2.2 auto, beat him by like a car length

I even raced Mad_Medeiros he's got a 93 GS just recently when I put on my C.A.I. and he didn't beat me by much and I had major wheel hop and he bogged at the start. but to stay with a formula firebird with the 1.6 SOHC ... I will admit I got owned by a 2000 5-speed Mustang V-6 when I was bone stock.

anyways I agree though I want a BP and will get a BP cause there is a good difference! and then I will turbo it! I can't wait there is this annoying little blue civic with a H22 prelude engine in it in my town Simcoe and he and i know he can smoke me and i can't wait to get the bp and turbo it I'll put him in his place! MX-3's ALL THE WAY!!!
1995 MX-3 RS: ST lowering springs, Front & Rear Strut Bars, 95 GS spoiler, ACT Stage 1 Cltuch kit, B&M Short Throw, Corksport braided steal clutch line, Corksport bronze oil bushings, 17 inch BSA rims, Tint, Chrome Altezza's
Pics http://www.cardomain.com/ride/537422/1
Bigg E

Post by Bigg E »

by the way those races were all on the track at sparda! :)
1995 MX-3 RS: ST lowering springs, Front & Rear Strut Bars, 95 GS spoiler, ACT Stage 1 Cltuch kit, B&M Short Throw, Corksport braided steal clutch line, Corksport bronze oil bushings, 17 inch BSA rims, Tint, Chrome Altezza's
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

ok you need to learn some stuff the v6 mustang does not make 185 whp stock.
ya i lost to a manual v6 mustang.
you lost to a v6 f150? you motor either needs a tune up or you got some low compression in one of your cylinders.
i tested mine and got 160 150 155 160. so my motor is in farly good condition.
95 Eagle Talon Tsi - New Toy
92 Mazda MX-3 RS - probably selling
86 Mazda Rx-7 - motor blew going 145
86 1/2 Toyota Supra - pissed me off sold it
91 Taurus... SHO - died
Bigg E

Post by Bigg E »

so what are you tryying to say my motor is s---? I got 175,000 km and compression is fine
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Yes I lost to a V6 F-150. Big. My compression is fine all across, if you trust Snap-On compression gauges.

As a matter of fact it goes 0-60 faster now than when I bought it new in 1993. So try again. Perhaps its the cars you guys are racing that have low compression.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
Bigg E

Post by Bigg E »

huh? :roll:
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Alright... not to get off topic (not that the origional conversation is the greatest here) but there's debate on the V6 Mustang's base horse power. My girlfriend owns one of these, and I said way back in the beginning that the Mustang is puttin down about 190hp. I was told I was wrong. Here is my proof. http://www.stangnet.com/2001/

BTW... i would still like to see proof that the SOHC's are beating this car.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

i didnt disagree that they have 190 hp. i disagreed that htey had 185 whp stock. and thats the 99-01. the ones before 99 had 150 i believe.
i know thats still a hell of alot more that the sohc mx3. i was suprised to.

i wasnt trying to be an a-- and saying you had a bad motor i was just asking. and now that i think of it i probably couldnt beat a v6 f150. i just remember smoking one in my friends 94 probe with the dohc 4. but his probe doesnt start to pull away from me till i am at the top of 3rd.
95 Eagle Talon Tsi - New Toy
92 Mazda MX-3 RS - probably selling
86 Mazda Rx-7 - motor blew going 145
86 1/2 Toyota Supra - pissed me off sold it
91 Taurus... SHO - died

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”