What intake to get for my car?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
TrickMX-3

What intake to get for my car?

Post by TrickMX-3 »

Does anyone know where i can get an intake for my 94 RS 1.6L DOHC because i dont know what there are for it. Also like exhaust systems and crud lol what type of car can i get it for and use it on my mx-3. Let me know. Well for that matter any mods can i just use like a civic and customize it or something. Let me know thanks
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

Ebay seems to be popular, as there isn't really much performance difference from one intake to the next. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think exhaust systems would be swappable. I don't know that the dimensions of the exhaust are ever interchangeable. I'm planning on just getting a custom exhaust from the muffler shop...it does worry me that their get-em-in-get-em-out attitude might translate into lesser performance, though. Got quoted for around $250 for a cat-back custom, if I remember correctly. You do know that there are MX-3 exhaust systems? Specifically Ebay (heard Pacesetter sucks) and Corksport (I wish, but outta my means)?
'95 RS: RIP
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

Pacesetter isn't that bad. I dont know what the performance gains are like (if any) but I do know they sound pretty good. As for intakes, I'm partial to the PRM intakes http://www.PRMracing.com i'm pretty sure.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

your best bet for intake is probably moding one from an integra or buying one off of ebay for the SOHC 1.6L. the PRM is nice but kinda pricy for not going all the way to the TB. and thats the part you want to get rid of is that crapy rubber stock intake hose. also i think weapon R makes one for the MX.

as for the pace setter exaust it sounds nice. but the tips tend to rust out fast. i put one on my girls honda, and gave it a noticable gain in power, and was nice and almost totally quiet at an idle. and a nice sound when you got on it. was like 200 bucks for the cat back system. not too bad.
TrickMX-3

Can

Post by TrickMX-3 »

Could i use the SOHC intake from the MX-3 is it going to work or no?
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Yes
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Yes
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
TrickMX-3

IS

Post by TrickMX-3 »

Is the 1.6L SOHC intakes that are on ebay for $35 is it actually worth that or is it trying to rip money off people? I dont want to buy something and come out to find out it doesnt work. In your opinions what is the best intake for your car that isnt extremely expensive see i have a crappy job and dont make much so i need to get something nice for the price so let me know thanks guys i suck at this import stuff but ill get it soon haha.
facko

Post by facko »

i might be wrong...but im thinkin any of the short ram intakes should be about the same...the only thing that would change the performance is the smoothness of the bends in the piping and the quality of the filter. i bought a intake of ebay for a 1.8L protege and it fit perfect and performed alot better than that stock airbox. the only thing i didnt like about it was that infront of the throttle body it had a sharp corner for a 90 degree bend...but for 25 bucks id say it was worth it :shrug:
93SOHC

Re: IS

Post by 93SOHC »

TrickMX-3 wrote:Is the 1.6L SOHC intakes that are on ebay for $35 is it actually worth that or is it trying to rip money off people? I dont want to buy something and come out to find out it doesnt work. In your opinions what is the best intake for your car that isnt extremely expensive see i have a crappy job and dont make much so i need to get something nice for the price so let me know thanks guys i suck at this import stuff but ill get it soon haha.
Mine is decent, but didn't fit to well cause my battery was too huge. Since you will have to modify it anyway, fitment should be an issue to considder when purchasing. The sohc intakes have all the "usual" intake parts, so its just a matter of getting it to fit. The only thing i don't like about mine is that hwere it bolts up to the MAF, the holes on the adapter were too close to the welds and the nuts didnt fit w/o grinding the welds a bit. Crappy quality and poor fitment, but it serves it's purpose well. With no budget and little aftermarket support, you can't be real picky...
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

I just bought a SOHC intake off ebay. Should be here end of this week or next week. And since the weather is changing for the best I might be able to put it on soon aswell.

Keep checking back - I plan to post pics of the install. I am installing the SOHC intake from ebay onto a BP engine though. Should be similiar to your engine. :P
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Typhoonk wrote:I just bought a SOHC intake off ebay. Should be here end of this week or next week. And since the weather is changing for the best I might be able to put it on soon aswell.

Keep checking back - I plan to post pics of the install. I am installing the SOHC intake from ebay onto a BP engine though. Should be similiar to your engine. :P
Make sure you post some pics...I'm putting in the BP soon and I have the SOHC intake right now. Just wanna see what you come up with so I can copy you :lol:
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”