Clear Rear Sidemarker Laws

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
neutral
Supporting Member

Clear Rear Sidemarker Laws

Post by neutral »

Interested in anyone's experiences w/the police pulling them over for running w/clear rear sidemarkers (even tho red bulbs are installed) Laws vary by jurisidiction and seems to be some confusion in my area. My car is registered in Maryland US. I've asked a couple police officers here if they would pull someone over for clear rear-sides & they both said yes, because the reflector must be red. Yet the research seems to state differently. The MD vehicle code states:

22-209. Color of clearance lamps, identification lamps, side marker lamps, backup lamps, and reflectors.

(b) Rear lamps.- Rear clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display OR REFLECT A RED COLOR.

Link is here. http://www.michie.com/maryland/lpext.dl ... D_tr22-209

So the key word is "OR" & that would appear to allow clear rear-side reflectors as long as red bulbs are installed. Has anyone been aware of similar laws in their area that appear to allow for clear rear sidemarkers with a red bulb, yet they still were hassled by the po po?

There is discussion on another thread about clear sidemarkers. http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... 944#258944 & some discussion of installing clear rear sidemarkers via adapting the ADVANZ ones made for the MX-3 front-sides or adapting rear-side clears made for a Miata. I'm trying to decide if doing this would be worth possible probs w/cops. :? The rear clears w/red bulbs WOULD look nice on white paint color.
Last edited by neutral on March 30th, 2005, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image -Jim
BoOdOg
Supporting Member

Post by BoOdOg »

I have had mine clear with red bulbs for 2 yrs, no problems. Really they only car at night in which time it will be red so I see no fault with it at all
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

BoOdOg wrote:I have had mine clear with red bulbs for 2 yrs, no problems. Really they only car at night in which time it will be red so I see no fault with it at all
Cked. out your cardomain page and the clear rear sidemarkers look good. Where did you buy from and did you have to "adapt" them to fit?
Image -Jim
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Gotta like that caveat "OR", a nice out. Having a hard copy of that law / code handy in the car might make the difference if the need arises. I think their (police) issue may be that a clear side marker when parked at night does not produce a red reflection which I believe is a designation on any/most vehicles indicating the rear of a vehicle (just guessing here). How available are the 194 3.8watt bulbs in red? Haven't installed mine yet but this is good info to know. Thanks guys.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

could you paint the interior casing metallic red or something? wouldn't this reflect red and allow the use of the clear lens? just an idea.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

In daylight you may see the red backround slightly but the reflective properties are within the lense itself. Removing the lenses will reveal a small hole where the bulbs light is allowed to pass into. The lense remove (clear or red) will still be a reflector, the body is not required to give it it's reflective properties.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I asked a country sheriff I know here in WI about a # of lighting issues including my aftermarket tails, clear markers, projectors and neons, heres what he said: "Most of us wouldn't notice anything different in the daytime, so, as long as they project the proper colors at night, they're fine. I am not aware if they are illegal or not(clear marker lenses). And yes I would pull you over if you had neon lights under your car, I don't believe they are legal in any state...) Thats about how it went. The bottom line here is that the laws are all different, even from town to town. The cops are all different, it depends on whether or not they have something better to do
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Taras

Post by Taras »

Legally, on the side of the vehicle you have to have red reflex reflectors in the back and orange on the front. What your local police officer will do is really up to him.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
rekognize

Re: Clear Rear Sidemarker Laws

Post by rekognize »

I was searching for tips on installing clear miata sidemarkers and came across this thread, I looked up the HTA in Ontario and here's what it says:
Side marker lamps

(13) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one half-hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle or combination of vehicles having a length in excess of 6.1 metres shall carry not fewer than four lighted side marker lamps, one of which shall be located on each side of the vehicle or combination of vehicles near the front and shall display a green or amber light and one of which shall be located on each side of the vehicle or combination of vehicles near the rear and shall display a red light and each of which lights shall be visible for a distance of 150 metres from the side of the vehicle or combination of vehicles upon which it is located; provided that a vehicle or combination of vehicles may carry four reflectors approved by the Ministry instead of the side marker lamps required by this section; and provided further that, if the clearance lamps upon the left side of any vehicle or combination of vehicles display lights visible for a distance of 150 metres from the left side of the vehicle or combination of vehicles, it is not necessary to carry side marker lamps as required by this subsection on the left side of the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (13).
Oh no Colin you shaved yours! :mrgreen:

So in Ontario we're allowed to have clear sidemarkers just as long as the bulbs emit the right colour at night..

and also, front turn signals in white are Illegal in Canada, must be amber..

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”