Some help with changing the spark plug wires?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jbruynson

Some help with changing the spark plug wires?

Post by jbruynson »

Well before attempting to do this i've never even touched an engine before really, so most of you would probably consider it a stupid question, but I really don't know.

Ok im trying to change the spark plug wires, I pull one end out fine attached to the distributor i think, and I pull the other end out, and whats the black tube type thing that comes out with that end. I don't really know what to do lol, do I somehow take this off of the wire or what?

Any help would be appreciated, I'd rather get it done myself than pay the shop over $200. They didn't have plugs for an mx-3, so I got the 2.5L v6 probe ones, I assume they work?

Thanks
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If the plug wires arent identical except for cleanliness.. I would return them and order a proper set for your MX-3. Or return them and go to a different auto parts store. The reason I recommend this is because you are new to the game so to speak. It is possible those wires (or another set for another V6) could work just fine.. but when your just starting out and learning.. I would recommend sticking to the parts you KNOW will work rather than having to try experimenting. Just my two cents.

Tunes67
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

ok thanks, I was told these would work though.

I'm just wondering, what is the block tube type thing that is attached to one side of the wire? does this thing come off and you just attach it to the new wire and your done? I just really don't know. And the wires are pretty similiar.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

To me that sounds like the part of the plug wire that goes over the spark plug itself. I hesitate to give you to much advice here because I have a 4cyl RS car and you have the V6.. your plug wires are likely going to be different than mine in some respect and I havent personally seen what a stock set of plug wires for the V6 MX-3 should look like. I wish I could give you better advice than this, but I would rather give you no advice than give you wrong advice. Best of luck man.

Tunes67
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

you will be fine with 2.5 wires..... the only diff is they are a bit longer but makes no noticalbe difference, at least one guy here has them on his 1.8, i forget who.....

the black tube is part of the plug wire
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

the black tube thing is about metal and about 10 cm long or so, goes down into the engine somewhere. I wish I knew more lol. Your probably right though, it might go over the sparkplug. I assume i'd have to transfer those things over to the new wires?

Its hard to explain, but the old wires go into a rubber square type shape, so it seals it, thats where this black tube thing im talking about is attached to then goes down into the engine. Now the new wires look pretty similiar on both ends, the end where i assume this black thing goes is much longer though.

Sorry I read though this and you guys are probably thinking im retarded or something, just a bunch of random thoughts and I don't know the proper name for anything lol.

Maybe I can try to take a pic or something later,
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Pics would definately help. :)

Tunes67
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

ok i found a pic, not my engine, but might help someone understand what the hell im trying to say lol

ok now see the valve cover, theres the 3 wires right at the front there, then 3 at the back. When you pull the wire out of the valve cover, this black rod type thing comes with it. I don't see how these rod type things connect to my new wire. Beside the 3 silver bolts there, its a square shape, made of rubber, which is where the rod is attached to, and goes down into the engine.

As you can tell i've never changed wires before, but could someone fill me in, as to how I would do this?
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Those "black tube like things" are an integrated rigid extension of the plug wires and not meant to be removed. They are correctly sized to extend down into those deep sparkplug wells to fit over the sparkplug tip. Your replacement wires should have the same shaped and sized rigid extension on them. If the extensions are the correct length (like on your old wires), the squarish rubber "head-end" should nicely fit into the valve cover as you push the rigid extension onto the sparkplug. That helps keep oil, dirt and moisture from entering the sparkplug wells.
Last edited by neutral on March 26th, 2005, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image -Jim
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

thats probably why i've been so confused. How come my wires don't have these metal rod things?
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

My guess is that they are not the correct wires. Your replacement wires should match up to your old wires and would look something like what is depicted in this pic... http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp ... KWires.jpg Of course, w/6 wires instead of 4.
Image -Jim
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

thanks alot man, no wonder I had no clue what was going on. I got wires for the 2.5L probe, I assumed they'd also work. I thought they were similiar engines? how come the probe engine doesn't have the rod things on them anyway?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Neutral is spot on - don't do anything but replace them with the exact same ones that come with the tube, etc. Not negotiable.

Don't worry about other engines - almost every engine ever made has a different spec for plug leads - have a look at a catalogue!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

well this should be fun, trying to find some mx3 wires tomorrow. The big auto place I went to had none. I guess I could try a mazda dealership also.

Thanks alot for your help guys. I'm slowly learning :lol:
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

I got wires for the 2.5L probe, I assumed they'd also work. I thought they were similiar engines? how come the probe engine doesn't have the rod things on them anyway?
I thought they'd work too although would be a bit longer overall length. Maybe the parts place pulled the wrong set from inventory. I'd exhange em and either bring one of your old wires to show what you are replacing, or just return them and order a set of NGK Blues from NOPI http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp ... X-3%201994 Nopi ships fast and $71 USD is a good price for exact replacements assuming you are in the U.S. If you do order from Nopi, don't worry about their pic showing just 4 wires. That's a generic pic and they will ship the correct 6-wire set. I order plug wires for all my cars from them.
Image -Jim

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”