car won't start (battery completley dead thru winter)

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
darkness

car won't start (battery completley dead thru winter)

Post by darkness »

Hrmmmmm,

Yesterday, trying to start my mx3 up after being put away for the winter (3 months), decided not to start.

The battery is completely dead (is this normal)? Battery is brand new too, just got it like 1/2 year ago.

anyways, thought of jump cablling it and drive it arond to give it a
full recharge of the battery.

Right now, I'm afraid the battery would not even charge, alternator problem.

Any good suggestions to determine if a alternator is dead?

Thanks in advance,

Vincent.
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

When you let a car sit up for that long, there's always the chance of the battery losing power,......... sometimes to the point where, even if you tried to charge it up, the battery cells could be so low in power that it is impossible for it to ever charge again. IMO, take the battery out and go to a auto parts store so they can test it for you. I'm sure that either you're battery is just in need of a good charge, or, you just need a new battery.
As far as the alternator is concerned, you can either take it out and have it tested at the auto parts store, or you could drive it to them......... if possible.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

if you can get it to an auto parts store they can test it for you
95 Eagle Talon Tsi - New Toy
92 Mazda MX-3 RS - probably selling
86 Mazda Rx-7 - motor blew going 145
86 1/2 Toyota Supra - pissed me off sold it
91 Taurus... SHO - died
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Did it sit outside for the entire winter/3 months. I know Toronto doesn't stay really cold all winter but perhaps during some of those real cold snaps we had, that a cell or 2 may have froze up to the point that it may have pooched a few of the plates inside. That said, it may still take a charge, albeit a small one, but just enough to give the impression that everything is OK, when in fact it's not. Bringing the battery inside and place on a slow trickle charge for a day should reveal something. Followed by normal charging. It would be a good idea to check the battery fluid level and top up with demineralized water prior to charging. OR, like the rest of the posts suggest, take it down to an Auto Centre and have them check it out. They'll be able to tell you if there are pooched cells, whether it will take the necessary charge, and will do a load test as well. Hope this helps.
And if it wasn't outside all winter, then you can disregard just about everything I said....LOL
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

when you let a car sit for that long u should take out the battery. Too make sure you don't put extra load on your alternator I would just pick up another battery ( unless you have time, to let the battery warm up to room temperature then slow charge it).

I am out in Oshawa, but I got a battery you can have if you want to pick it up - The asking price is a 20 pack of McNuggests ...... hmmmm nuggets
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
TekPmp

Post by TekPmp »

[quote=" The asking price is a 20 pack of McNuggests ...... hmmmm nuggets"[/quote]

rofl gotta love the mx-3 community :laugh:
Black 94 RS, Erebuni MS style front, OEM sideskirts, Clear signals, altezza tails, 93 seats, Civic projectors
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Typhoonk wrote:The asking price is a 20 pack of McNuggests ...... hmmmm nuggets
Can you SUPERSIZE that... :lol:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
darkness

Post by darkness »

Thanks for the advice guys,

It turned out all it needed was a recharge....

Now I can put my blitz sides on and thinking of buying some clear turn signals.....anyone in Toronto selling em?!?!

PM ME...

Vince.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

darkness wrote:Thanks for the advice guys, It turned out all it needed was a recharge....
Cool. FWIW, lead acid batteries can't sit too long or they'll lose it. My Mx-3 stays in the driveway for periods during winter but has to be started & run for a while every 10 days-2wks or so. Hafta go with a gel type (like Optima) if you want CCA starting power after long periods of sitting. http://www.dcbattery.com/gel.html
Image -Jim

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”