Making K8ZE a KLZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
darkkiz

Making K8ZE a KLZE

Post by darkkiz »

Is it possible, I mean are the blocks same? Cause in Finland we have a laws what denies motor size increase over 20%, so I can't put the KLZE there if I want to keep it streetlegal. The car is MX-3 1,8i V6. But the main question here is can I make from K8ZE a KLZE by chancing bore and stroke?

http://www.moonlight-tuning.net/mazda.htm

That's the one I'm talking about.
2 fast to live,
2 young to die
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

no I don't think you can go from 1.8 to 2.5 without resleeving and major stroking..neither are offered as of today
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
darkkiz

Post by darkkiz »

what about KFZE?
2 fast to live,
2 young to die
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

it's still 0.5L ...I don't think it's ever been done either...why don't you just swap over the klze and don't tell anybody...they can't know...I don't think they are bright enough to figure you swap over since both engine looks the same
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

babyblueMX3 wrote:no I don't think you can go from 1.8 to 2.5 without resleeving and major stroking..neither are offered as of today
what steve said goes the same for a KF.. just on a smaller scale... not worth the cash IMO

just buy a KLZE :idea:
darkkiz

Post by darkkiz »

But there is a code on the block, and they check it every time, unfortunately. KFZE is 2.0 am I right? so there would be 0.2 increase, and 24hp increase. And those blocks are very very difficult to have in Finland. I would use a term "impossible"..

But is the block same as K8ZE and KFZE or KLZE?
And MX-3 is so uncommon car here that on the inspection they don't even know what it should look like. So they will check the code. How much the KFZE block costs..
2 fast to live,
2 young to die
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

i got a complete kfze motor for $450 usd plus shipping. Then you'd want the kf15 ecu which can usually be had for around $150. If your k8 motor is still running good you could always turbo it.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Yeah. There's not enough to bore out the block safely. However, what you CAN do is take the crank and rods off a KL block, use your K8 pistons, and make yourself a 1.92 liter engine. You should be able to use the K8 ECU and K8 VAF with that combo, you'd just want to raise your fuel pressure a little at WOT so you don't lean out at ful throttle.
Not sure if the work of tearing your engine apart would be worth the extra .1 liter, though. You should be able to get another 3mm of bore out of it safely, then you could get KF pistons (78mm) in there, which you should be able to source as KF engines were used in Europe. Then, you'd be at 2.15 liters. That might be worth the trouble if it's all you can do legally.
mmac
Supporting Member

Post by mmac »

If the law in Finland are making it difficult/impossible to legally carry out a engine swap then you might want to consider working with what you have got.
There was a guy from Spain who posted on here a few months back who had carried out some serious work on the 1.8 and had got 182 bhp & 165 lb/ft.

Here is the thread:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... ght=europe

Might be worth sending him a PM
1994 MX-3 ZE
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

mmac wrote:If the law in Finland are making it difficult/impossible to legally carry out a engine swap then you might want to consider working with what you have got.
There was a guy from Spain who posted on here a few months back who had carried out some serious work on the 1.8 and had got 182 bhp & 165 lb/ft.

Here is the thread:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... ght=europe

Might be worth sending him a PM
I say it's not worth PM'ing him. That's a bunch of crap. He got more torque than a KL and more HP than a KFZE ..... with a K8? Monkeys might fly out of my a--, too.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

Here is the best thing you will here on this forum today, if your in europe where its a pain in the a-- to get a ZE. No worries.

TURBO!!! word of the day people. If you turbo your little 1.8 you can get BUCKET loads of power from it . Plus the smaller pistons are pretty close to the old f1 racing engines where they had twin turbo v6 (1.5ltr) engines. They put out some ungodly amount of HP from a tiny engine and reved to 16000 rpm.

SO shoot for that, shoot for your little 1.8 turbo v6 ... the more revs you want the better "equipment" you need installed in the engine. Irregarless go turbo its easier for you guys over there then importing an engine and dealing with emissions and insurance.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
darkkiz

Post by darkkiz »

mxmaz wrote:i got a complete kfze motor for $450 usd plus shipping. Then you'd want the kf15 ecu which can usually be had for around $150. If your k8 motor is still running good you could always turbo it.
Well, I checked out what they cost here. 2100€! Quite salty :lol: It's runned only 60 000km..
And unfortunately it's so damn hard to get -92 and over cars to aftermarket turbo in Finland. :twisted: Otherwise that would have been the choice number one.
2 fast to live,
2 young to die
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

DavidOS wrote:Here is the best thing you will here on this forum today, if your in europe where its a pain in the a-- to get a ZE. No worries.

TURBO!!! word of the day people. If you turbo your little 1.8 you can get BUCKET loads of power from it . Plus the smaller pistons are pretty close to the old f1 racing engines where they had twin turbo v6 (1.5ltr) engines. They put out some ungodly amount of HP from a tiny engine and reved to 16000 rpm.

SO shoot for that, shoot for your little 1.8 turbo v6 ... the more revs you want the better "equipment" you need installed in the engine. Irregarless go turbo its easier for you guys over there then importing an engine and dealing with emissions and insurance.
Can the K8 even handle 200hp boosted?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

hp yeah sure
whp not sure

6 psi on a k8 should be around that 200hp..it can take it
but to get to 200whp..is around 235hp..My guess it would be the limit but it still has to be tested
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
darkkiz

Post by darkkiz »

lakersfan1 wrote:Yeah. There's not enough to bore out the block safely. However, what you CAN do is take the crank and rods off a KL block, use your K8 pistons, and make yourself a 1.92 liter engine. You should be able to use the K8 ECU and K8 VAF with that combo, you'd just want to raise your fuel pressure a little at WOT so you don't lean out at ful throttle.
Not sure if the work of tearing your engine apart would be worth the extra .1 liter, though. You should be able to get another 3mm of bore out of it safely, then you could get KF pistons (78mm) in there, which you should be able to source as KF engines were used in Europe. Then, you'd be at 2.15 liters. That might be worth the trouble if it's all you can do legally.
But does the K8 ecu and K8 VAF suffice with KF pistons? And can the block handle it?
2 fast to live,
2 young to die

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”