FRONT Caliper (Silders)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
quicksliver

FRONT Caliper (Silders)

Post by quicksliver »

**NOTE: These calipers are OFF the car....im' rebuilding them.**

Alright, so i got TWO (2) FRONT Calipers in front of me. I took out all the slider pins, cleaned all pins up so they are smooth as a babies bum. Also cleaned out the bores on the actual calipers the sliders go in...again VERY SMOOTH. Then bought all new rubber boots!

Put 100% Silicone grease oh the sliders, inside the boots, and inside the bores. Put sliders in....everything was slideing perfectly.

The next day i go to check on the calipers and the LONGER slider on BOTH calipers needed a fair bith of force from my index finger to get it going....and then it was slideing perfectly. The SHORT slider on BOTH calipers needed next to no force at all to get it slideing.

I have tried re-lubeing both of the LONGER sliders and i get the same results. They slide fine...then when i leave them overnight or something, they tend to get stuck and i need to put fair amount of pressue with my index finger to get em' slideing again.

Any advise or presonal experience with calipers would be greatly appreciated....cause no one i talk to has an ideas :\.

Ps. The sliders are NOT bent.
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

sounds like a case of 'just how it should be' to me... for the tight one at least... the one thats loose is what bothers me... the brakes work properly on the concept of a firm fit. without those tight fitments, there is room for vibration and rattling, both of which cause noise and premature wear. a properly functioning slide pin should be a VERY SNUG fit, and require substantial initial force to 'unstick' it and should then slide with some 'smooth' resistance (sounds like what you're getting). a loose fit indicates excessive wear to either the pin or the housing (I'd replace the pin, personally). Fear not, though. your brakes generate MANY thousands of times the pressure that your meager fingers do, so getting them past the light sticking is no issue for them. if both bolts were to fit and slide easily like your second one, then that would allow for the caliper to shimmy or to misalign on the brake pad, creating an uneven wear situation. You're PROBABLY ok on both of them (as long as one is semi-stiff), but since it sounds like you're a worry-wart (much like myself), then replace the guide pins (hell, replace them all, but do check new ones for straightness. I found a bent one in a NEW caliper box I got for my brother's Miata.) After all, whats a few bucks/pesos/dinar (j/k) compared to the safety of yourself, others in the car, and anyone who happens to be taken out by a car whose brakes were neglected? :) no, im no mazda (or parts-supplier) rep... I've just been in too damn many accidents to have the same old 'could-give-a-damn' attitude.. lemme know how it works out!
Dan
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Thank you. Just wasn't too sure because all the sliders on my rear calipers slide with next to no force at all...
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Also, when you goto get your new parts bring the originals with you and compare to make sure it is the same part you are getting. Ive done my breaks and NOWHERE had the right sliding things, whatever they are. I went to FIVE places and all gave me the same part. So just warning you now!
Red 1992 Mx-3 GS, all stock.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The slide pins are like 6-7 dollars at NAPA
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”