bp or bpt swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
grey mx-3

bp or bpt swap

Post by grey mx-3 »

i have heard that it is better to get a bp engine instead of a bp-t and then just turbo the bp later on. i was intending on getting a bpt cause its already turboed so wouldnt you end up spending the same money. i know the bpt is faster but is it by much? any information would be helpful
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

GTX BPT = 180ish hp
BP = 130ish hp

go BPT right away if you are going turbo...the BPT has forged rods and pistons and have been know to put out 450 HP on stock internals...pretty much the only advantage of the normal BP is that the head flows better.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

ryanlindenberg wrote:the BPT has forged rods and pistons and have been know to put out 450 HP on stock internals
The pistons are cast, not forged.

I wouldn't push my BP to 450...would you?
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

I was told that the internals are the same between the BP and BPT outside of the slightly lower compression pistons on the BPT... which would make economic sense. It's cheaper to build one very nice motor that could be turbo/NA than a nice one and a crappy one. Oh, and the cams are different, duh :P
grey mx-3

Post by grey mx-3 »

It's cheaper to build one very nice motor that could be turbo/NA than a nice one and a crappy one.

sorry but im not too sure what you are tryin to say here
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

well, think about this....

what would cost less to manufacture:
a crappy rod for an N/A motor and a really nice rod for a turbo block, or one really nice rod?

materials are cheap. Making two sets of things, keeping both in inventory, etc. would not be. Thus, it's cheaper for a company to make one nicer thing in general, unless one uses far more advanced technology.

outside of the cams, and the slightly different head design, I'm pretty sure that the BP and the BPT are almost the same thing internally... actually, the BP's head is slightly less restrictive, so you'd be better off going with the N/A BP and turboing it later, I imagine.

Of course... all of this goes out the window when you talk about the GTR BPT.... different rods, pistons, turbo, manifold, cams, and they've got sodium filled valves too... way cooler engine (but EXPENSIVE and HARD to find)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”