HEADERS

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
grey mx-3

HEADERS

Post by grey mx-3 »

i was on corksport.com and i found headers for the dohc 4cl i have been looking for headers for a while is this a good mod idk if headers would make a big difference on a 4cl. I dont know what mods i should do all i have done so far is a cold air intake any advice would be helpful
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

Headers are a great mod to do. Not only do they increase power (not a whole lot, but some), but they dress up the engine bay too. I recommend them especially if you have a cat back and intake system.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Turbo,

oh and its header not headers :lol:
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

My understanding is that headers are a mod for the hardcore. They work best when interacting with other high-power mods like port/polish and bored cylinders and such.

You'll gain power in the higher RPMs, but if you don't have sufficient power pulsing through the headers, you'll also have a drop-off of power at the low- to mid-ranges.
'95 RS: RIP
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

in my experience a header on a slightly modified 4 cyl is a good performance adder. as long as the exhaust piping isnt good big and kills back pressure, the turbulence reduction from a header is huge. i have seen gains across the board in quite a few vehicles.

grey-mx3: personally i dont like the header on corksport b/c of that ugly blue. you might wanna do a search for the 2.0 probe header conversion many people are doing. you can get a pretty chrome one for less than half the cost of the one on corksport.... plus the one on corksport has to be welded to your exhaust pipe anyway!
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
grey mx-3

Post by grey mx-3 »

is this the header you are talking about http://www.spiderautomotive.com/brosfor19pro.html is this gonna be something i can bolt on?
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

yeah... thats the one. just get an exhaust manifold gasket for your car and hold it against that header. you will see that there are two holes you will need to drill, and the inside of the 2nd and 3rd ports will need to be bored just a little bit. if you need an example i have a bookmark from a guy who did the work and did a write up with pictures.
grey mx-3

Post by grey mx-3 »

yeah definetly post that it would be a lot of help
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552384/6 It's about half way down the page. Awesome information here.

He doesn't show what he did about the egr tube on our exhaust manifold. What I will be doing and found several other people doing is just simply cappin off the bung for the egr tube on the header, cappin off the tube going to the manifold. When you need to repass emissions, use a type of steel braded fuel line or simiar to connect the pipe to the header for the 10 minutes to do the test. I'm pretty sure the car would still pass, but some places require a visual inspection to make sure people like me havent disabled the egr system.
Som1Dies2Nite

Post by Som1Dies2Nite »

If you some performance..I'd suggest going with a cam or modding the heads by shaving them for higher compression...
By the way..I was comparing the heads from the mx-3, 323 & protege from my 92 manuel and notice that the 323 cam lobe have a little more height and compression is 9.3:1 vs the mx-3 9.0:1.. the valve seats are wider than the mx-3 in the 323 heads..this is just info i got from the manuel itself.. :idea:
Member @ ak-47.net

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”