Big Brake Kit?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Neil

Big Brake Kit?

Post by Neil »

Alright well i phoned Wilwood this morning because somone had said that Wilwood made a big brake kit for our car and they told me they dont, and that a company who buys there products to make there own kits called JD Performance in Cali might make one "I'm pretty sure they make an MX-3 kit" is what he said, but i haven't had a chance to phone them yet because im about to leave for work. I thought MazdaSpeed made a big brake kit also but Corksport doesnt have it listed anymore on there website... I know the kits will run a nice figure $$$ wise, but does anyone know of any?
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/b ... oducts.asp

offers 13" rotors.. I hope you got money. They are pretty much useless if you don't got the power to use them
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Neil

Post by Neil »

Thanks Babyblue, I just needed to find somwhere that carries them for down the road. Once i get my KLZE and Supercharger i wanted to get bigger brakes.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

man those are pimpin
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

http://www.corksport.com can sell you kit too
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Neil

Post by Neil »

oh god, i think im going blind, i thought they took it off the site and i didnt see it before *shakes head*
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

You'd need to be running a slick at full temperature to use those brakes. And you'd still probably lock up! USELESS!!!!!
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
lstpier
Supporting Member

Post by lstpier »

2 benefits of big brakes: higher clamping power and improved fade resistance. Unless you add a ton worth of audio equipment, stock clamping power (braking torque) is more than enough to lock the front wheels (even with hot Toyo RA-1s). However fade resistance sucks.

You can upgrade to higher temp than stock pads to avoid up to a certain points your pads to glaze and disintegrate at high temp but you will rapidly outrun the thermal mass of the stock 257mm x 22mm rotor.

As usual bigger is not always better. Too much front braking torque and/or improper sized caliper pistons will result in brake bias unbalance and end up with MUCH LONGER BRAKING DISTANCES.

Unless PrecisionBrakes and KVR uses custom piston sizes (Wilwood dynalites are not offered with the proper piston size to match the stock rear brakes) my calculations yields that you would need a proportionning valve and some serious tuning to get the brake bias right (if not safe!).
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

I agree with lstpier, if you want to upgrade just get some good performance pads and some goodridge stainless steel braided brake lines. Could even get some good ceramic caliper paint if you’re looking to make the brakes look a little better behind big wheels.
That’s what I did. That and convert to rear disk brakes. Works great.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”