GTA Group Buy: professional paint job

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
Strife

GTA Group Buy: professional paint job

Post by Strife »

Hi guys,

To keep things simple/clear, I'm going to split off the paint-job group buy into this thread. Here are the details again.

Shop

The shop is located in Thornhill. I was told that I cannot publish their name since they are undercutting other local pricing by so much (apparently there's an unwritten rule about undercutting another shop). But if you PM me I can give you their phone number so you can contact them directly. Payment will be made to THEM, not me. I'm just the organizer.

Quality

I have used this shop in the past with much success. They do OEM paintwork for several local dealerships as well.

Pricing

bumper - $150
bumper panels - $150
side skirts - $75
front/rear lips - $100
spoilers - $100
fenders - $100
whole car - highly competitive (depends on car and if there are rust repairs to be made)

All prices above INCLUDE taxes (now you know what I mean about undercutting their competitiors ;) )

Group buy pricing only comes into affect with 5 or more people. Prices will not go down even if we get more than 5 since these prices are close to cost.

Sign up here by posting the following information, as I have below. Include your HANDLE, LOCATION, Approx. DATE that you need work done, COLOUR (custom colours will cost MORE - e.g. pearlescents, two-tones etc) and WHAT needs to be done below.

Once we have enough participants, I'll send the preliminary list to the shop and I'll PM everyone with the contact info. You'll then arrange with the shop directly... just mention your name and the shop will know to give you group-buy pricing since they'll have a copy of this list:

1. Strife, Toronto, Anytime, OEM colour, front lip + side skirts
2. ovendenk, ottawa, first of may, oem teal to silver, rust on both quarters, and small amount of rust around windshield and door handles
3. Vince, Toronto, Before May, Whole body paint OEM white.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

As mush as temping as this is, i'm more worried about quality...we've gotten "good deals" on paint jobs, but it just started to rust out after a year or two...ones was a reputable body shop, the other was the friend of my mom's best friend.

Secondly; are they gonna warranty their work or are they not providing a warranty because of the discount?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Strife

Post by Strife »

i've never received a warranty from any paint shop in the GTA... even a really expensive one a few years ago from an insurance claim... but I'll ask them

i know the shop will gurantee paint match though

anyway hope this helps... this is a killer deal and I've used these guys before (they normally charge 40-50% more than this GB pricing).. never been disappointed... they also do all the paint work for a GM dealership in thornhill (including OEM warranty/insurance claims)
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

I received a warranty on my car when I had it painted. The only parts they couldnt warranty were the parts with rust on them because they cant guarantee it wont rust again
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

Can you give me a price range on a full paint job with no rust ???
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Interested!! Like to confirm the warranty in the meantime.

John, Belleville area, 01 April, OEM White,
Items - Sideskirts, Front chin spoiler, Rear apron
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
misfitsfiend

Post by misfitsfiend »

yo sounds good except do they have to be oem colours?

and i just wanted to know if i can get body work done on my mx ..
other thing was i wanted to do mine around end of may or june
drewleedham

Post by drewleedham »

pretty sure it doesn't have to be oem colours, but it's just more expensive if it's a custom colour..
FOR SALE: 93 MX-3 SE
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

yeah I would guess you could get customs colors but dont expect it for that price. When you get into the pearls and reflex it can get really expensive. Keep that in mind if you decide to go through with it
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

I received a warranty on my car when I had it painted. The only parts they couldnt warranty were the parts with rust on them because they cant guarantee it wont rust again.
If they wouldn't guarantee it then they didn't fix it properly. It's as simple as that. NEVER get work done where they don't fully guarantee there work. It's just trouble. By the way, what is the average total going to be for a full rust removal paint work deal? I'm trying to decide between this and the racers discount through the CASC.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
RTT

Post by RTT »

yeha i am lookign to have a body kit painted but i will need some molding and fiberglass work done...any prices on that stuff as well will they just be painting the peices or can they install them too and how much for the installation part of the deal?
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

hey man,

is that list a list of people confirming/reserving a spot in the gb or is it just to show strong interest? because i am really interested, but i would need a complete quote along with confirmation of a warranty before i put out any money. if you need detailed pics of any needed body work to give the shop for a decent quote, let me know and you'll have em. please let me know soon cause i'm starting to hunt around for prices. thanks in advance.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

I'll go on the list provided I get a rough estimate for minor body work and all that too. I'm not committing until I can get a price and warrenty from them though (even if I havta bring my car to them, but I need a figure to compare for the whole thing)
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

mazdubber wrote: If they wouldn't guarantee it then they didn't fix it properly. It's as simple as that. NEVER get work done where they don't fully guarantee there work. It's just trouble. By the way, what is the average total going to be for a full rust removal paint work deal? I'm trying to decide between this and the racers discount through the CASC.
well most body shops wont guarantee rust work because they cant guarantee it wont come back. Rust is like a disease you can get rid of it but cant guarantee it wont return
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

well most body shops wont guarantee rust work because they cant guarantee it wont come back. Rust is like a disease you can get rid of it but cant guarantee it wont return.
You have to realize that there is a right way of fixing it, and there is sanding it down and slapping bondo over top of it. Many shops don't have the expertise to cut out a bad piece and weld in a plate. They might be able to paint but they're just bondo slinging butchers when it comes to the body work.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”