You have five grand, roughly, and want to do the engine swap

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
mjlohman

You have five grand, roughly, and want to do the engine swap

Post by mjlohman »

but leave the outside of the car pretty much untouched... except for some cosmetic damage and the like. Maybe do some minor suspension work; a little stiffer.

I want to leave the car as close to looking stock as possible on the outside while leaving the surprise of bountiful power and better grip to the times when the coast is clear to play a little bit.

Out of all the people on this site, who do you trust enough to do the swap and maintain the car's outward appearance?

I want basically to beef up the car's stifness and put at least 225 HP and 225 Torque under the hood. If we can get more out of the engine WITHOUT turbos, underdrivepulleys, superchargers, I'm all for it. I'm looking at creating a "sleeper." Oh yeah, I would probably have to turn in the core engine won't I?

I know I said I wanted to sell the car in another post, but I thought about it. Who would you trust to do it, and who of you would be willing to do this; serious inquiries only please as I am saving the cash up right now.

I am serious about this. With $5000.00, start off with a KL-ZE engine swap (with Upgraded; reprogrammed ECU if necessary, I don't know much about this), stiffened shocks, and minor cosmetic repairs, and any other ingenuity let's see how much power we can get from the block without "forcing" air in the heads (turbo or SC, I am not a fan of either). I only want 225HP and 225TQ. Is it possible, and what is possible with this type of funding? Heck, what kind of power is feasible with this setup?

Once again, if you want to do it, I'm willing to travel to Canada or anywhere in the US towards the Northwest, I'm in Montana. Let me know by responding to this, I'm seriously considering doing this in the late summer or fall.

Oh, I won't need the AWD I asked about either... this car is fantastic in the snow with the correct tires and the retrofit will cost over $15K to get the performance I want. For that cost I'd just go buy a VW R32.
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Look thru the search feature and you will find what people have found to be the best set up. Also, I would never buy an R32, waaay over priced :)
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

but leave the outside of the car pretty much untouched... except for some cosmetic damage and the like. Maybe do some minor suspension work; a little stiffer.
Other than the fact that my suspension is a litte bit on the hard core side (and I don't mean crazy low) you've described my car.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
Jteezy

Post by Jteezy »

Do the bp swap and turbo it, and you will make your power goals easily. Then you have to worry about traction, which some azenis.motor mounts and some stiffer suspension will help. The bp swap will run you about a grand including the ecu, tranny, harness, engine, axles,etc. if you shop smart. That about how much it cost me. The turbo setup for it will probably run you about 800 bucks and then you have alot of money left over to do whatever. The bpt swap is nice, but alot more expensive, fun none the less. And the kl-ze is powerful, but boring, since its not like boost kicks in, its just brute,smoothe power, which isnt bad either. Its up to you. []Deace
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

But he has a V6 though
He would have to swap out alot of stuff under the hood
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

you could swap in the ze, get the ecu for it as well and then spray your way to 225 along with some basic boltons 225 should be pretty easy, i think.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

You can get the heads ported along with the Intake Manifold and have that 67mm throttle body and a CAI
Than full exhaust system
Maybe if there was aftermarket heads and cam it would be easier.

I'd rather go for a KLDE though.
Sure it has less power but its like $500 cheaper, have alot of potential and are easy to find along with the ECU.

Why not go for a turbo
you can make your own custom turbo kit and find most parts cheap on ebay. You'll end up wasting about atleast $1,500 - $2k on the turbokit and another $1k getting your car ready (fuel injectors, spark, fuel pump, dyno tuning).
I think its worth it though just because the power gains and the boost
Anyways,
if you dont want anyone to hear your turbo I hear you can do some stuff to the BOV to make it quite. Infact, you could take the BOV out and i hear that gets rid of alot of the boost lagg
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mjlohman

Thanks folks but,...

Post by mjlohman »

I just found out I will be on the road quite often this year; or rather in the air flying all over the country. I'll be flying to Canada too.

So I won't have the time to do the swap this summer, or possibly the rest of the year. I have a lot of GPS hardware/software to sell and clients to teach how to use it. Company gets a load of cash every time have a successful trip and if mine turn out good I'm looking at a helluva bonus at the end of the year.

I don't like turbos because they generally cut down on engine lifespan. Let me rephrase that; I don't care for them on anything except diesels and rotaries. I especially however don't want one on my all aluminum engine.

I know how to use them and how to maintain them but there's little to no getting around the compression woes (seals and cylinder stress) that come with an appreciable boost in your power. If you know of any other ways to beat the stress put on the motor while not increasing the lag I'm all ears. SCs, are worse.

In any case, I'll consider the KLDE upgrade and I will also consider how to get that tracion to the ground; I forgot how light our cars actually are.

Talk to y'all later.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: Thanks folks but,...

Post by monty73741 »

honestly if a car comes with a turbo the engine has been designed to handle the compression

also when u run into problems is when u turbo a N/A engine & try to go with 20000000000000000000 lbs of boost on stock internals
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

if i were you id order the BPT GTR engine comes 210hp stock,
upgrade suspension, wheels, flywheel, clutch and get a stand alone system (haltech) and get some forged rods and boost it some more.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

i love these posts: i have XXX amount of money and want this much horsepower.
Is there any reason your looking for that much power? If its just to have a "sleeper" at local races/street races BELIEVE me, you dont need 225whp to beat alot of the cars out there.
Look, since you've got the V6 why not consider the KL-ZE: there are plenty of aftermarket parts available for them and they are fairly robust stock. With I/H/E,port and polish, cams, UDP, etc... the power your seeking should be easily attainable. Nitrous is definately an option and is a tried and true power adder. Other key components you should probably get would be a light weight flywheel, good clutch, and an LSD (even if it is just a phantom grip or something). And why not an underdrive pulley? they are nothing like turbo's or SC's: i dont see why you are against them.
And no, you dont need to turn in your engine as a core if you get it from an importer.
call Corksport (http://www.corksport.com). they know their stuff and will be able to not only sell you the motor and bolt-ons but install it for you as well.
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”