Fully adjustable coil over

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Esto

Fully adjustable coil over

Post by Esto »

It has been a long time since i've posted here, but it has been even a longuer time that i've started searching for a fully adjustable suspension for the MX-3.

After testing a few street kits, bottoming out in every elevation change or hard cornering, suffering from bump steer I have decided to build a good fully adjsutable suspension.

I have a few objectives that are listed here:
Heigth adjustable
Enought travel to prevent bottoming
Damping externally Adjustable
Rebound externally Adjustable
Camber adjustable from 0 to -4deg
optionally caster ajustement (on the front :))
Main usage: Track
Springs should be of the 2.5" for easy swapping of different spring rate

If you know a setup that meets part or all of the above let me know.
I want to know, what you beleive is the ultimate suspension?

On my side I have started the building of a suspension that will meet most of the above objectives. I want to know if I'm reinventing the wheel or not.

Thanx
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

Ground Control/Advance Design racing coilovers with Eibach ERS springs and Ground Control camber/caster plates. Check them out at Ground Control and Advance Design.
Esto

Post by Esto »

You're right, I beleive that Advance Design is the ultimate shocks for our car.

However I have removed them from my list since they are a little expensive and mostly, they are very weak on street usage. At least that is what I was told from a fellow competitor. Using them on the street will require a rebuild very quickly since they are not intended for street use.

Since I need to drive down to the race track, and that the car is not on a trailer, I wish to find something that will resist a few 1000s KM before and after an event.

I have set my eyes on Koni 8611-1257 Road race insert. I beleive that they will survive street driving and will cost less than the Advance Design. In fact I have ordered the Konis and expecting them very soon.
http://www.koniracing.com/autocrossitems.html

Ground Control is also my choice for the springs/sleeve kit.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Koni only makes adjustable special red dampers for the Mx3.

For those you are talking about, I believe they have to manufacture them on order.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Esto

Post by Esto »

Yes, the special Koni red for the MX-3 (86-2442 and 86-2443) are a single ajustable shock that fits in our original strut/shock housing. We have to cut the top of the housing and insert the insert into it. I beleive you already know that.

The koni 8611 inserts, that I bought, are struts inserts available only in 3 differents configurations (at least in 2004, I beleive there is now 5 config for 2005). They do not adapt to our car, we have to adapt the car to them.
To see the available insert go to: page 12 (1.5MB)
http://www.motorspot.com/KONIMotosportCatalog.pdf

I selected the 8611-1257 since we have very little suspension travel in the front and that the 8611-1257 had the shortest body and travel.

I will post some pictures of the product building.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I just got my Koni special "d" shocks this weekend. They were in stock at koni and didn't have to wait for them. The adjustment on them is a PIA. You have to almost completely disassemble the front suspension to adjust them. Not something I'm looking forward to doing.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Esto

Post by Esto »

Are you going to keep them?

I beleive you bought a complete suspension package from Ground Control. Koni - Sleeve spring - camber/caster plate, let me know how it turns out.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I will keep them. They are a pain but they are the best reasonable adjustables right now.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”