The Hype about the BP Motors?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
urnvsofMX3

The Hype about the BP Motors?

Post by urnvsofMX3 »

I would like to know a little about the BP motors and why they are so great are they turbocharged or just plain strong motors. Tell me what you have heard or if you know personally what you think of this motor. In the future I will have to decide if I want a 4cyl and make a BP or get a 6cyl and make a KLZE. A little info would be helpful and maybe some pics but not to push my luck. Thank you.

Jeremy V.
If you think you have it under control, then you you're not going fast enough.
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

The BP is a 1.8 liter inline four-cylinder, as opposed to the stock 1.6 liter. It's got more potential for power and is the most simple engine swap you can do with your MX-3 RS.

If you've got a 4-banger now and want to do a swap, you're going to most likely want to go with the BP. If you end up deciding you reeeealy want a KLZE, sell your RS and buy a GS. Swapping a V6 into an I4 bay is pretty psychotic, you have to completely swap around everything else in your engine bay to make it fit as I understand it. Find a picture of someone's V6 engine bay and compare it to your own I4 engine bay, the difference is noticeable. The V6 sits farther forward in the bay (and towards the right wheel if my eyes don't deceive).

If you don't want to do the BP, you can do the BPT, which is a pre-turbocharged version of the BP. There's also another J-Spec (japanese) engine on corksport.com that is basically the same engine that hasn't been toned back for the U.S.A.; other than that, I don't know what can be done.
'95 RS: RIP
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

as I recall, the J-spec BP is EXACTLY the same motor as the American one... "but it came from Japan so it HAS to be better!" they say :P

It's not tremendously powerful all by its lonesome, but the BP has insane potential because it's incredibly well built in the first place, and there are a crapload of parts available for it. Oh, and it's got more power and torque than a new civic so.... whee! take that you honda bastards! :P

there are so many things you can do for the motor, all motor OR turbocharged, that it just makes it the perfect engine for our MX-3s.

it's also incredibly easy to find. and cheap.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

matt_fulghum wrote:as I recall, the J-spec BP is EXACTLY the same motor as the American one... "but it came from Japan so it HAS to be better!" they say :P

It's not tremendously powerful all by its lonesome, but the BP has insane potential because it's incredibly well built in the first place, and there are a crapload of parts available for it. Oh, and it's got more power and torque than a new civic so.... whee! take that you honda bastards! :P

there are so many things you can do for the motor, all motor OR turbocharged, that it just makes it the perfect engine for our MX-3s.

it's also incredibly easy to find. and cheap.
Actually the Japanese engines are suppose to have better Timing and different Cams for around 10 more HP. So it is not exactly the same. But the whole cam thing it still up in the air because no-one has found some JSpec cams I don't think. But the Jspec engines do have 10 more hp...
What

Post by What »

Technical geek things I like about the motor -

Nice cast iron block.

6 crank case breathers - a lot of NA motors have 2-3.

Closed deck - meaning cylinder walls attached to deck as opposed to usual Honda design which is open deck (top of cylinders surrounded only by coolant). Closed deck design is more regid and the MLS is also good for boost. A lot of open deck guys have to with o-rings on high boost motors.

Thicker cylinder walls than the 1.6 if I recall.

Lots of room to add turbocarger and components vs. the 6 cylinder.

Decent crank and stock rods are alright for lower revs and boost (imho).

Cheap to pick up the 4cylinder.

Easy to put in the 4 cylinder.

etc.

There are certainly a handful of 'gem' motors in the era, and the BP is simply a good design that is good for boost.
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

I bet all they do with the J-spec motors (except maybe the cams are a little difference) is because the gas there is a LOT better than here in the states, they probably advance the timing more, at least, that's what I'm guessing... That's pretty much standard issue for J-spec engines from what I've heard.

Gas in the U.S. is terrible quality. Why do you think it's so "cheap"? :P
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

matt_fulghum wrote:I bet all they do with the J-spec motors (except maybe the cams are a little difference) is because the gas there is a LOT better than here in the states, they probably advance the timing more, at least, that's what I'm guessing... That's pretty much standard issue for J-spec engines from what I've heard.

Gas in the U.S. is terrible quality. Why do you think it's so "cheap"? :P
Umm the test in Horsepower was done here (USA) using 87 octane... I would link the page but it has been down for 4 months.... I think the guy sold the domain name...
urnvsofMX3

Thanks, one last thing?

Post by urnvsofMX3 »

Someone was saying that the BP-t would fit in a 4cyl. MX-3 right? And it I went with that option would it be just as easy as a swap or would it have to have some modifications to the enging bay to make the intercooler and the piping and the turbocharger all fit? What size turbo is even put on those bpt? I just want to get all the information I can before I decide on swapping this motor or getting a V6 for KLZE. I like the turbo feel because I had a turbo GSX eclipse and it was awesome. But I also like the KLZE because it has a constant power band not having to wait for turbo lag. I geuss I will have to make up my mind some time soon. Thanks again for all your help people.

Jeremy V.
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

the turbos are small so virtually no lag. the gtr has a bit more lag cause a bigger turbo but trust me its not that bad and the gtx is almost instant power i promise.
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!
urnvsofMX3

Post by urnvsofMX3 »

Thanks for the info honda killer and congrats on being the only BPT GTR in Texas that is a great accomplishment. I want to be the first in Northeast Kansas or Kansas all together to have a engine swapped MX3 that would be awesome. Oh yeah and thank you all that responded your input has been very helpfull. Thanks again.

Jeremy V.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”