A Testamonial to the Power of Stupid Grounds.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
freyguy_412

A Testamonial to the Power of Stupid Grounds.

Post by freyguy_412 »

I really hate to act excited about small mods.... A new type of spark plug, a generic "high flow" filter in the stock air box. I hate to say, "God damn, that ebay 20+ horse power bolt on really added 20 horses. My shizzle is da bomb, dog!" I hate people who say that, I really do. ----BUT---- I have to comment about ground straps.

My boy introduced me to the idea of ground straps; adding large guage wire from the block, intake manifold, etc. to a bolt on the frame to help everything ground better. I was doubtful, but decided hey, they're only like 12-15 dollars in parts for the mod so why not? We put them on a couple months ago, and yeah, no big mod. No noticable difference. But I had been seeing where people said everywhere the wire is attatched to the car on the frame, you need to sand it so it can contact bare metal. So I tried it today. Yeah, world of difference. No, it is still about 12 sec away from being a 12 sec car, but it did help. I think I'm getting a much hotter spark (cause one strap grounded the block), which is helping a little bit with the mid-high range power, the idle stabilized, and my twin can free flowing muffler isn't popping raw fuel as much when I let off the petal in gear. The issue with the RS light dimming under braking and such has been eliminated too.

I hate to say that I am excited about such a wimpy mod, but I am. No, the car still isn't fast, but for the price and such, this is a mod I would strongly reccomend to anyone with a couple bucks in their pocket and a bit of sand paper lying around. Yeah, sorry about the length of this post as well, but I am kinda excited. :2thumbsup:
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I believe that exact subject was touched upon in the European forum today. A very unassuming, practical and probably forgotten mod that just puts back what our cars may have lost over the years.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Alright, so all it did was just put lost power back (inyour opinion). It still helped my car to run a bit better. Just thought it might be something worth sharing. Sorry I can't amuse you with everything I post. :rant2:
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

freyguy_412 wrote:Alright, so all it did was just put lost power back (inyour opinion). It still helped my car to run a bit better. Just thought it might be something worth sharing. Sorry I can't amuse you with everything I post. :rant2:
Appologies :roll:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Thunderstorm

Re: A Testamonial to the Power of Stupid Grounds.

Post by Thunderstorm »

freyguy_412 wrote: I think I'm getting a much hotter spark (cause one strap grounded the block), which is helping a little bit with the mid-high range power, the idle stabilized, and my twin can free flowing muffler isn't popping raw fuel as much when I let off the petal in gear. The issue with the RS light dimming under braking and such has been eliminated too.

I hate to say that I am excited about such a wimpy mod, but I am. No, the car still isn't fast, but for the price and such, this is a mod I would strongly reccomend to anyone with a couple bucks in their pocket and a bit of sand paper lying around. :2thumbsup:
Rather interesting, simple, but none the less very valid mod that can ensure problems like the above never arise or are eliminated.
Preventative maintenance at the very least.
A cure to some hidden design faults at the very best.
Good idea, and it is common sense to get that done really.
I know I will as soon as I can!

Nice one Freyguy_412!

:)
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”