What Gauges Would You Recommend

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
drftking

What Gauges Would You Recommend

Post by drftking »

Im looking to get a 3 pillar gauge pod and i know im gonna put a a/f ration gauge. But I dont know what others I should put. Any info would be gratis.
Drive It Like You Stole It.
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

I run a oil pressure, and water temp... Autometer....
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

i'm also thinking of getting a triple gauge pod... so far i'm almost set on the first 2: air/fuel mixture and a voltmeter, but need recommendations for the third...
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

oh.. my.. god..

you are going about this the wrong way. The LOGICAL thing to do **IN MY CRAZY OPINION** would be.. "Hmm I think that Mazda engines oil systems suck, so I better get an oil pressure guage to see when my Oil sender unit decided to blow again... And hey, why not get an Air/Fuel guage because they're pretty (I honestly think they are pretty despite them being vitually useless). So thats two guages... Ill get a DOUBLE guage pod :idea: "

really you dont need any more... even the A/F guage is pretty useless I just like staring it at. But since your car is N/A you dont really need anything besides the oil pressure guage to avoid f$#*&ing up your motor.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

If I really found the need to, I would choose in this order:

1. Oil pressure - sometimes a little too late by the time the idiot light comes on.

2. Voltage/Charging system - Because our MX's are getting older and original electrical system items may eventually fatigue (alternator for one). Some of us are heavily into sound systems that draw excessive amounts of current and it sure would be ideal to see if our charging system/battery is keeping up. And it's a good indication of battery state. All good info before our idiot light comes on - which may be too late.

3. Toss-up - Probably Oil Temp (if we tend to over-stress our ride from time to time), perhaps Fuel Pressure, maybe a Water Temp but then again we already have one.

If I had a seriously tricked out engine where I spent huge amounts of money then I'd be more conscious of trying to keep tabs on all the fine details (using aux gauges). But if it's a bone stock engine with no serious mods than aux gauges would be merely fluff (IMO).
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

my first one would be fuel pressure. sencond oil pressure. third egt. fourth a/f. But in my case the first one is boost :D
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

oil pressure
Image -Jim
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Oil pressure and then volt.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Oil pressure and then volt.
I agree.. beyond this I think I will eventually add a fuel/air mixture gauge as well since the B6 engines seem susceptible to lean mixture conditions. Might not be a bad idea to be able to keep an eye on this even with a stock engine.

Tunes67
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

A/F is just a light show.
EGT is more for boost apps.
Oil pressure would be good, W/j-spec ecu you'll have no indication that your oil sending unit went out. I got lucky.
Fuel pressure is crucial, especially with an aftermarket afpr. Its good to know the fp is rising and not leaning.
65 shot > V8
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

dewthis wrote:Oil pressure would be good, W/j-spec ecu you'll have no indication that your oil sending unit went out. I got lucky.
I didn't know that. Confirming that when I install my KL31 ECU, my oil pressure idiot light will no longer funtion and that because you already had an aux gauge for oil pressure you were able to forecast and prevent a potential problem? If this is the case then I definitely must consider an aux oil pressure gauge. Now I want to get a KLZE sensor and vaccum schematic to persue this matter further. How would one ever come across this without it being written in Japanese?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i got a a/f for when i go to nitrous i can know if im leaning out at WOT

oil pressure cause its always good to know

and true water temp because i dont trust the indicator
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

jschrauwen wrote:
dewthis wrote:Oil pressure would be good, W/j-spec ecu you'll have no indication that your oil sending unit went out. I got lucky.
I didn't know that. Confirming that when I install my KL31 ECU, my oil pressure idiot light will no longer funtion and that because you already had an aux gauge for oil pressure you were able to forecast and prevent a potential problem? If this is the case then I definitely must consider an aux oil pressure gauge. Now I want to get a KLZE sensor and vaccum schematic to persue this matter further. How would one ever come across this without it being written in Japanese?
the oil pressure dumb dumb light has nothing to do with the ECU, its like the temp indicator, its basically wired straight to the dash and is a ON/OFF type switch
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

papa roached wrote:the oil pressure dumb dumb light has nothing to do with the ECU, its like the temp indicator, its basically wired straight to the dash and is a ON/OFF type switch
That's what I thought that's why I wanted to confirm with a schematic. Thanks P R.!!
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

Tell me why my "dumb dumb" light did'nt come on when my pressure switch pissed out all of my oil? I had about a quart at best left in the case.
65 shot > V8

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”