Chaning Timing belt on BP

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Domnknpimp

Chaning Timing belt on BP

Post by Domnknpimp »

Okay I'm hoping a lot of people are up tonight, because I just bought a BP from a local junkyard ($300) The engine looks to be in good condition, no oil on outside of engine, and inside of valve cover looks a light golden color... Anyways, while I have the engine out of the car, I decided it would be smart to change the Water Pump, Timing Belt, and all the other belts, as well as the thermostat .... I've searched the site, and no one has ever posted (that I could find) instructions on HOW to change the timing. do I just take the cover off, mark everything, take it out, align and put the new one in? I'm not new to cars at all, but i've just never had to change the timing belt on a car before. Thanks
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

do I just take the cover off, mark everything, take it out, align and put the new one in?
Thats pretty much all there is too it.. I personally havent dont the timing belt on a BP engine.. but I have on many other engines. Only thing that might be tricky is the tensioner position. Assuming the BP has a tensioner system. One practice I always do is ensure that #1 cylinder is at TDC prior to removing the belt. Makes it easier to line everything back up during install and you are less prone to misalignment. I had a heck of a time with the tensioner setup on my Subaru.. I hope the BP is a simpler system for your sake ;)

Tunes67
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

thats good news :-) do you think i'll need the repair manual for the Protege? I dont think i could use it unless i #$%^ somthing up really?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Having a repair manual for your engine is ALWAYS a good idea.. And having a set of procedures for changing the timing belt for your specific engine would be excellent to have.. would help eliminate any missed steps.

Tunes67

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”