Pics of my V8 RX-7 Project (finally)

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)

Is a RX-7 V8 swap wrong?

Definately, you rotor-hater
36%
It's origional, I like it!
32%
It's good for Cheap speed.
18%
Where can I start my own?
7%
I could go either way.
7%

Total votes: 28

mattster

Pics of my V8 RX-7 Project (finally)

Post by mattster »

Hey all, I posted a while back about my RX-7 LT1 / 6speed swap, and well i figured I'd update you all with some pics! You can visit my cardomain website to get the whole story and all the pics HERE: http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7 . the good stuff starts on page 5 but you can read everything if you want! please leave me some nice feedback and ratings and stuff because i really like as many people to see it as possible. well, i know that there's probably going to be some guys who say i'm commiting a crime taking that rotary out, but lets just not talk about that... because seriosly i've heard it all :roll: . anyway, just in case you don't visit the website here's a quick summary, it's a 1986 GXL, the engine is a LT1 350 (5.7L) from a '94 Camaro, the tranny is the T56 6-speed, the color is Subaru Pear Blue (as seen on WRX), the engine is currently running... and the running cost is about $2500. I am hoping for mid-13's to start and sub 13's with experience.

And yes, I still have my MX-3. I drove it from Lynden WA to Grand Rapids MI for my second year studying engineering. I would like to do the ZE someday, but the RX is getting the funds right now :D . HOpe to hear from you guys!

Image[/img]
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

not bad project, its gonna be nice car in the end
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Pretty color, I just hate it when peeps do a V8 swap into a RX-7. If you want a V8 get a Chevy. To each his own though, nice ride.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

i was wondering what happened with this project a few days ago, good too see its all coming together for you. :2thumbsup:
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
mattster

Post by mattster »

hey thanks for the compliments guys! i am hoping to have it on the road during my summer break, so you can count on some more pics and a video file at that point. it really sucks going to school 2,500 miles from your car project :cry: . but at the same time, that gives me a lot of downtime to research options and find cheap parts! the things still left to do include cooling (radiator, fans, hoses, etc.), fabbing a custom clutch line, fabbing a custom driveshaft, and building a bad a-- exhaust system. i posted another pic of the engine in it's running form. as you can see, i got a nice set of headers on now. the wiring was a bit tricky, but nothing incomprehendable. the color really is a lot darker of a blue, but the flash of the camera always lights up the pearls. it's not exactly going to be the most comfortable car to drive, i removed the power steering and air conditioning for conveinance, power, and so that it weighs less up front. speaking of which, if you are wondering how bad a V8 messes up the "50/50" weight distributioin, you might be suprised. if done correctly i should be able to get in the range of 48-49/51-52, and that's with a HEAVY drivetrain combo! i know that if you do a 5.0 with aluminum heads and a T-5 tranny you can actually keep it 50/50.

i could sit here and defend my project by saying something like the car was hopeless before i started with it... but i really feel like i don't need to defend what i'm doing. the truth of the matter is i am having a really fun time building this car, learning A TON, and will have something unique that will turn a few heads... and those are the things that matter most to me. if you guys have any more questions about the swap i would be happy to answer them!

freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

:cry: It's sad to see "American Muscle" in an Import..... but no disrespect man it's all good. Just another V-8 for me to attack when I get my car built up! :lol:
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
valenzul

Thumbs up to you

Post by valenzul »

Way to go man. Who cares if your bastardizing. I say do what the hell you feel like. its your money and your car!

Have you seen the fiero with LT1 engine?
Seems alot harder than yours.

http://www.fierolt1.com
mattster

Post by mattster »

Have you seen the fiero with LT1 engine?
ya i have, and it definately seems like like a ton more work. at some points in my project, it almost seems like the RX-7 was designed for the LT1, of course that's not true but serioulsy it's a great little chassis to build off of. more popular swaps include the Porsche LT1 swap or the nissan 200,240 LT1 swap... i would love to do a 944 LT1 in the future.
Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

your in freakin washingt.?!?!?! i really want to see your project..

don't worry about the people that don't like your project...if you can turn heads, get the power on the road and learn from it...then its all worth it...

keep us updated..

PS. AWESOME PROJECT...i wish i could do something like that.
I want MAZDASPEED!
MY WEBSITE:: http://kingmx.net
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Looks cool. I'm going to do an EFI 5.0 HO with twin saab turbos in a 2G Rx7. I cant find a shell for the life of me though.
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Looks nice, and you have put the wrench time in, congrat's....

Still cheaper than going porteded turbo 13B, so a bonus!!

However the rear diff cradle assy on the car will need beefing up
else you wil tear it, even though its solidly mounted, also in the long
run you will need to reset your rear arms to stop the wheels toeing in
on take off. a lot of pissing around but worth it.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
mattster

Post by mattster »

your in freakin washingt.?!?!?! i really want to see your project..
ya, the project is in lynden (north of bellingham) but i go to school in michigan, so i am not going to be back to finish the car until summer break! but tell me where your at and if im ever in the area i will take ya for a ride... maybe even let ya drive it :).
Looks cool. I'm going to do an EFI 5.0 HO with twin saab turbos in a 2G Rx7. I cant find a shell for the life of me though.
that will be fast man. keep looking, 2G RX-7 shells are everywhere! or, just keep your eye on eBay for the right deal close to home.
However the rear diff cradle assy on the car will need beefing up
else you wil tear it, even though its solidly mounted, also in the long
run you will need to reset your rear arms to stop the wheels toeing in
on take off. a lot of pissing around but worth it.
the diff assy. is most definately going to be the weakness of the project. i plan on upgrading to a TII rearend as soon as the GXL pukes. TII rearends can handle a heck of alot more HP than my LT1 will put out anytime soon :).
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Really freaking nice!
Espically by going with a V8!!!!
Are you going to go with a X-Pipe exhaust?
By the way, I am planning on doing something similar with the MX3
Still doing research so it may take atleast 3 or 4 years
If I had a choice of engine, I would go for a 4.6 DOHC V8 (seen in Cobras).
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mattster

Post by mattster »

thanks man! yes, the exhaust will consist of headers, x-pipe, 2.5" tubing and magnaflow mufflers. best of luck swapping a V8 into a MX3, not sure if it's possible or not but, it'd be cool if you were the first! just keep in mind how small the engine bay is, plus the lack of a tranny tunnel, lack of room for driveshaft and diff! but hey, nothings impossible with time and money!
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

dude looks good i give you alot of credit for it but why didn't you just fix up and boost the hell out of the rotay out of the rx with a twin trubo set up you could easily blow the doors off almost everything on the street (i say almost because some gut here in the falls is crusing in a viper runing a 60hp shot of nos he's just not right in the head come on a car with no cup holders wtf) just a question
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”