CV Problems... Big Problems... Not normal

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
happyclown

CV Problems... Big Problems... Not normal

Post by happyclown »

So when a cv joint starts to go, it gives an annoying click and you go get it fixed... everyone knows this...

about a week ago... i was on my way to the store to get some food... i turned onto a side street, and heard a godawful grindy noise... before i could tell what it was or where it came from it was gone... then i went from that side street and turned onto a main road, and while turning onto the main road i heard the same grinding clankey noise... completly baffold i decided i would jack the car up and check it out when i got to the store.... I pulled in to the parkinglot, fairly quickly, heard nothing, slowed down to pull into a spot and there that noise was again, only louder than ever. So i slammed on my breaks and stopped the car. Standing next to where i was about to pull in was some old folks who laughed and said "sounds like your cv joints goin, you should'a had that fixed when it was tickin". I looked at them funny and said theres no way thats my cv, they assured me it was and said i was ok to drive with it for a few more miles but to fix it quick... i nodded and went to pull in to the parking spot all the way and...
as soon as i let out the clutch i heard the grinding noise, the car didnt move an inch....
i got a tow truck and brought it to the shop, turns out, the cv exploded inside the cuppling, 3 turns worth of warning, and it exploded. :(

so i said huh just my luck to not have any warning signs.... :roll:
now heres the best part...
Today i pull into my gf's driveway to turn around, and....
snap crackle pop :evil:
car stops moving and i hear nothing but that same gringing noise...

the cv shattered agian....

so my question is, what could make a cv violently shatter with little/no warning, and how do i fix it?!?! :wink:
1993 RS Teal
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

That's increidble. Something must be putting severe pressure on it.

Did the mechanics change the whole axle assembly?
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

im pretty sure he did, the part cost $103 usd... what was replaced was a joint piece and a long shaft connected to it... i've never done a cv fix myself but is far as i could tell that was the axel assembly...

i thought it was pretty incredable, as did the mechanic
1993 RS Teal
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

happy have you been doing holeshots? :?:
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

jimishadow
Posted: February 22 2005, 18:28 PM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

happy have you been doing holeshots?
err, whats holeshots? is that like whole shots of NOS which would put mad amounts of strain on stuff? heh

i just got the car back today and the mechanic said that when he compared the new cv to the one that came out of my car (after it was fixed). the one he originally tried to fix it with was a rebuild one and when it came out, it was 3/4's an inch shorter than the new (not rebilt) and he couldnt tell if that was because of the way it shattered of if it was a wrong part or what...

im just hoping this cv lasts as long as it should
1993 RS Teal
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Hopefully you just had a bad one, but if it happens again in a short period, you may need motor and/or tranny mounts. I havent heard of this being a problem in Mx3's but my friends Camry was constantly snapping joints and they found a bad motor mount was sagging the engine on one side and putting undue stress on the cv joint. Just a thought.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

a hole shot is revving up motor then poping the clutch,hell on the cv shafts
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

jimishadow wrote:a hole shot is revving up motor then poping the clutch,hell on the cv shafts
Ouch ... it hurts just thinking about it!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”