Boost Controller choices!!

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
The_Great_Tonge

Boost Controller choices!!

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

Well...I have finally embarked on my turbo project. Im starting at my mani and turbo right now(thansk shady!!!) and gathering other things I will need. Im looking at boost controllers right now and deciding either to do a manual or electronic one. the benefits of an EBC is that you can control boost and how fast the turbo spins while the ebc keeps boost spikes in check. With a MBC you just turn it up and down depending on the boost settings you want, but Ive hard it doesn't keep boost spikes in check. Im not going to be runnning 8 or 9 psi prob 7 for daily driving, unlike some crazy people we know, *jarid*, so i need to know which is my best bet. Anybody with some ifno drop a line and let me know what your thinking
What

Post by What »

Turbosmart has the best MBC I've used. Each click of the controller is actually proportional once it's in the range (clicks make nice small increase as opposed to 1 click and 4 psi of boost like some others), has hole to control the spikes that works decent, etc..

Electronic is nice for track, setting it up a couple psi when you have more traction in another gear... and can be very accurate depending on which you get. Greddy solenoids have been problematic for some I know. HKS has lasted a lot longer, but you have to go with something more like EVC II, or the new EVC V. The fuzzy logic was bad on the most other EBCs, especially with problematic wastegates.

On the dyno, my EVC V didn't do much better than the Turbosmart for spool, so unless you want an extra toy, or want to go with a standalone with boost control incorporated at a later date, I say the Turbosmart MBC works just fine.
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

Tonge i still say with a VJ-14 with just going to 2.5" exhaust and a freer flowing intake you'll see 10psi with no boost controller. I saw 12psi with just the aforementioned and the corksport downpipe. The CFMs you'll see with 10psi on the VJ-14 are no where near the CFMs CJTHOR is seeing with his T3. Have faith in mazda engineering...
Anyway: I used a Joe P. MBC on my B6T and am currently using it on a WRX. I never had any issues with spiking on either vehicle. On the WRX there is a noticable difference in the time it takes the turbo to spool up (running stock 13psi but seeing it ~750rpm sooner...). Best $40 i ever spent.
If your worried about traction or switching between lo/hi boost at the track go with the TurboXS 2 stage MBC. I know a certain 9 second streetable civic coupe *cough* Jason Hunt *cough* that uses it. And its not very expensive at all...
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I am running a Greddy Profec-B. Very easy to use and install. And HEY im only up to 14psi.....crazy?? Me??? NAAAAAAAAAAA
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S

Return to “Forced Induction”