Front axle/steering gater (rubber sleeve) removal

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
sloggy

Front axle/steering gater (rubber sleeve) removal

Post by sloggy »

Hi, Almost ready to put my MX-3 in for the all important MOT to get her on the road at last and have just noticed that the front right axle gater/rubber sleeve has a small split, which is an MOT fail. I know how to remove the brake caliper, but gow hard is it to remove the gater? does it involve the track rod being removed etc. Many thanks, Sloggy
reprobation

umm... yeah...

Post by reprobation »

from what it sounds like, it sounds like your describing what we call in the US a CV-joint, this allows the wheel to move independantly from the other wheels.

If you've never done a job like this before on a car, i wouldn't suggest it.. especially not on an MX.... when you replace the CV joint, you don't want to replace just that one CV joint. You want to replace both CV joints and the half-shaft. For both CV joints and the half-shaft your looking at about 60-75 bucks. If you include labor at a decent mechanic, you looking at about 170... these prices are all US dollar... sorry.. i don't know what that translates to in british pounds!

Hope this helped ya!
-Chris
sloggy

Post by sloggy »

Thanks, sounds about right, I enquired at my local garage and they say about £80 to replace the gaitor. They've said they'll do the MOT first and let me know what needs doing, fingers crossed its just that. Thanks for your help, Sloggy
sloggy

Post by sloggy »

Just an idea, does anyone know if it would be legal to just put a cycle puntcure repair patch on the split on the rubber gaitor? A lot cheaper than a huge garage bill :?
reprobation

Post by reprobation »

Legality wouldn't be the problem. The problem is that rubber boot is on there to protect the grease and materials in there... If the boot has taken faily significant damage, there's probably dirt and other particles in there.. Which means the grease is tainted.

Bottom line is, you could do it.. but it won't help you in the long run.
And tell your mechanic to replace the whole half-shaft and both Joints, not just the one. If your in there.. you might as well take care of any other problems while your there. Just a bit of advice...

-Chris
sloggy

Post by sloggy »

Thanks Chris. I've had a closer look today and the rubber has 3 splits in it, so I've scrapped the patching up idea. Thanks for your help. Sloggy
rasheedn

Post by rasheedn »

i have an idea

i have the problem with the ticking sound while turning. which is the CV joint. i am thinking of just adding a lot of grease on the joint and then putting the rubber back on
without taking anything out. just pulling it out a bit adding a lot of grease . i found a specail grease for it as well

what do u guys think??

Rasheed
sloggy

Post by sloggy »

Rasheed, are you sure its not just the wheel bearing needing a tighten rather than the CV joint??
rasheedn

Post by rasheedn »

yeah its the cv joint

it makes the ticking sound

i bought a new cv joint and they gave me some grease with it

so i am thinking of just removing the rubber cap and put a lot of crease on it and close it again.

i told my idea 2 a mechanic told me it would work
but he's not good hehee

so i am really not sure if i should do it or not
it looks like an easy fix
sloggy

Post by sloggy »

Well you've nothing to lose by trying so give it a go.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”