bypassing egr??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

I assume that you can weld cast iron to stainless steel without that bi-metal corrosion nastiness... can anyone back that up?

It really should be a cheap job. 5 minutes at the most :P
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Trust me ive tried everything to keep the egr but it always costs too much $$! the only way it is posible is the get a egr pipe off a 2.0L probe and that costs $150, then you have to cut it and cut the mx-3 egr pipe and try to get them to work with each other....reason for using probe egr pipe is because the bung on the header stick out were the mx-3 bugs screws into the manifold!!

p.s. i would have to leave the valve there so i dont get engine code!! so should i seal were the pipe would go, or put a breather on it so it still gets some air(maybe it would help out to breath??)
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

no way... you definitely don't want ANY air coming through the EGR valve.... get an egr valve plate from one of those racing kits for the miatas, and seal it with silicone when you push it on

if any air gets through the EGR valve, it'll be unmetered, and the air/fuel ratio will be off, potentially leaning it out so much it's dangerous
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Ok sounds good...thanks alot to you all for helping me out with this, very appreciated!!!
Macen

Post by Macen »

Hm... my connector to the EGR is broken, so I don't know what state the EGR is in.
I checked my emission values today. Lambda was 1.00, CO was too high and HC above 200 (too high). The guy told me that this was a typical catalytic converter problem, and he told me to change it.

I also told them to check the ECU for error codes. They got no error codes. I think that's a bit odd because the EGR connector is broken. Shouldn't there be any error code then?

So, should I get a new catalytic converter, or can the EGR cause my problem?
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”