Turn signal housing

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Turn signal housing

Post by jschrauwen »

Just got the first lense cover off my front turn signals to install clear covers and noticed a second isolated section inside the turn signal body, probably utilized in non NA-Spec MX's. Has anyone converted that section (to Euro-Spec), if so what size light bulb and base was used. I'd like to do the conversion. :?:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

where'd you get clear lenses at? i thought in order to have clear signals you had to buy the whole housing like the ones at corksport
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

From Bugsy007
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Luc St. Pierre had a nice DRL how-to on the previous incarnation of his GSR site - he recently removed that info though. I haven't done this mod (yet) but remember reading from Luc's old site that while NA housings have no socket provided, the size required is the same as the 3rd brake light & 3rd brake light bulb is P/N 921 @18w. The turn signal bulb filament is rated @25w w/50% duty-cycle so the housing should handle at least 12.5w continuous. You might want to use #922 12.5w bulbs to be safe because the #921 18w bulb heats up the turn sig housing pretty toasty. :evil:
Image -Jim
MX-3.com
Site Administrator
antispam: No

Post by MX-3.com »

That's actually a pretty old mod.

Check Luc St. Pierre's page for more info on doing that mod.

I could;t find the pages myself, but maybe if you e-mail him, he still has it somewhere.
ImageJeff Aycan - Site & Forum Owner/Administrator
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Sedan (Brilliant Black)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Light Silver Metallic)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (Lime Green/Ebony)
SOLD - 1995 MX-3 Precidia RS (Blaze Red)
SOLD - 2000 Honda Civic Si (Vogue Silver Metallic)
SOLD - 2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD (Redondo Red Pearl)

Please Help Support MX-3.com - (Contact me for MX-3.com Decal Purchases)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Neutral and Jeff
Outstanding info, many thanks. I'll try contacting Luc. Was he listed on the home page or do you know what handle he goes by (if he does) in here? Again many thanks!!
:2thumbsup:
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Try l s t p i e r @ c g o c a b l e . c a (address from his current website). Might see him on the UBB once in a while but can't recall his sr. Here's the link to Luc's current hosted MX-3 GSR site if ever needed. http://cafe.rapidus.net/stpierlu/index.html Used to have a lot of additional useful info there from Vaughn but looks like that's been removed recently.
Last edited by neutral on February 11th, 2005, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image -Jim
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

MX-3.com wrote:That's actually a pretty old mod.

Old mod for an old guy.......LOL
Thanks for the thread move!!
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

MarkMoore wrote:where'd you get clear lenses at? i thought in order to have clear signals you had to buy the whole housing like the ones at corksport
NO-- you can buy the lenses only if you want to. I bought mine from corksport 5 years ago and did the conversion.

Pretty easy too! 8)
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

atlantamx3 wrote: NO-- you can buy the lenses only if you want to. I bought mine from corksport 5 years ago and did the conversion. Pretty easy too! 8)
atlantamx3 - What power source did you draw upon, DRL or park light system.
Invisible

Post by Invisible »

MarkMoore wrote:where'd you get clear lenses at? i thought in order to have clear signals you had to buy the whole housing like the ones at corksport
Corksport also sells just the lenses, just gotta heat up the old ones and pull em off the assembly and reseal the new ones. :twisted:
Invisible
93 GS Tropical Emerald Metallic MTX 1.8L
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

jschrauwen wrote:atlantamx3 - What power source did you draw upon, DRL or park light system.
More precisely, did you do the extra mod of adding another fixture (socket and bulb) in the spare recess. If so, I'm looking to find which or where would be the best place to draw current from.....park lights, DRL???
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Most of Luc's DRL how-to is available on this archive site. Minus some of the pics but still worth a read for ideas and direction. Explains enough to find your way around diff wiring options, especially if you have a shop manual... Scroll down for the DRL piece http://web.archive.org/web/200202252206 ... r_inst.htm
Image -Jim
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Outstanding neutral
I had the first bit but not the DRL stuff. Many thanks.
:2thumbsup:
Taras

Post by Taras »

jschrauwen wrote:
jschrauwen wrote:atlantamx3 - What power source did you draw upon, DRL or park light system.
More precisely, did you do the extra mod of adding another fixture (socket and bulb) in the spare recess. If so, I'm looking to find which or where would be the best place to draw current from.....park lights, DRL???
Either or. You do not want to tap into a DRL circuity (as is) for this, as you will run it on a de-powered mode. If you want those to be activated by the DRL circuit, you need to bypass the resistor and then you can have a full power from that. Resistor is a big box/heat sink that sits in the upper driverside corner of the engine bay. Close to the wiper motor.

As far as connectors and bulb choice for that little socket is concerned. If you want, I have an OEM ones from J-Spec lights that you can have for free, I do not need them. Or you can go to Cad Tire and pick some up. I would not want to run a high powered bulb in there for obvious reasons. The highest I had was a 7w one, bit I am sure somewhere in 10w range will be ok too.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”