Mazdaspeed MX-3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Famine

Mazdaspeed MX-3

Post by Famine »

Hola guys. Hoping you can help me out some.

*Advisory* Read all of the following with the assumption that the author has the same technical knowledge as a stunned platypus.

I live in the UK and own a rather pleasant MX-3 V6. Red, of course... :twisted:

Of late I've been having thoughts of modifying it - I contemplated some FI a while back, but the cost was, at the time, prohibitive. With that in mind I've decided to upgrade various components - suspension & braking (especially after a fun suicidal manoeuvre from some daft bint the other day) in particular.

I've been struck with a thought to create a "Mazdaspeed MX-3 V6", utilising Mazdaspeed parts as much as possible.

However, I'm encountering a few problems. Firstly, I know of NOWHERE that sells Mazdaspeed parts for the MX-3 in the UK - and there's no way on Earth I'm buying parts sight unseen from two continents over. Secondly, thanks to the devisive and often contradictory nature of the internet, I'm not fully aware of Mazdaspeed having actually MADE any uprated parts for the MX-3. Lastly, I'm curious as to whether Mazdaspeed ever made a Mazdaspeed MX-3/Presso.

So...
[abridged version]
1. Does anyone know of any Mazdaspeed suppliers in the United Kingdom? Do they stock MX-3 parts?
2. Does anyone know if Mazdaspeed ever got around to making a Mazdaspeed MX-3, and if so, what are the specs (if it exists, I aim to get as close as I possibly can, mechanically)?
3. Anyone got a beer?
[/abidged version]

I'm particularly looking for under-the-skin alterations - over and above external stuff. Engine work will come along later. Perhaps. If I've not bought a Lotus Esprit V8 by then.

(and yes, I've checked the links on the main page. They're either non-UK based - unsurprisingly - or all broken).

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

1. Sorry, bro live in FL. Maybe one of the Brit guys can help ya there.
2. Nope. All I know of is RS(I-4), GS(V-6), and SE(special edition GS made only in '93 - came with some nice extras though)
3. I uh... :throwup:
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

You can get mazdaspeed bodykit and a mazdaspeed exhaust but you will most likely have to have it imported from Canada or the US.
Famine

Post by Famine »

Bummer.

The bodykit - IF it comes - will be the last thing to be attached. The exhaust sounds interesting though - any links or images?

I've contacted Mazdaspeed US now who... MAY be able to assist. But keep the good ideas coming. Any information is better than the none I currently have.

You'd think though that if Mazdaspeed produced versions of the Demio and MPV, they'd have done something with the MX-3 - although I guess they didn't go "in house" until 1999, after the MX-3 had ceased production.

*grumbles*
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Corksport has a Mazdaspeed inventory:

http://www.corksport.com/main.php3?primNavIndex=3&

They are based in Vancouver, WA 98682

(360)-260-CORK (2675)
email: inquiry@corksport.com
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

The mazdaspeed replica bumpers are on ebay now for cheap.

Also they are on clearance on NopiOnline.com which might ship them to the UK
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Famine

Post by Famine »

Indeed - however I have no intention of buying things without being able to physically pick them up and examine them. Whilst I do quite enjoy an internet bargain, when it comes to my car I'm not taking any chances... :D

Besides, the cosmetic bit just isn't my thing. Maybe, just maybe, when the insides of the car are right, the outside can see some Mazdaspeed additions, but not a moment before that.

Keep the info coming though guys... :D
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

You may find it difficult if your looking for vendors in the UK to actually carry or maintain MS products on the shelf so that you can physically inspect them prior to purchase. It's a warehouse / mail-order world thus reducing overhead and costs. Try a search for old threads for your specific items and perhaps pm members who have undertaken similar projects. It may go a long way in your decision making process.
my 2 pennies
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Famine

Post by Famine »

jschrauwen wrote:You may find it difficult if your looking for vendors in the UK to actually carry or maintain MS products on the shelf so that you can physically inspect them prior to purchase. It's a warehouse / mail-order world thus reducing overhead and costs. Try a search for old threads for your specific items and perhaps pm members who have undertaken similar projects. It may go a long way in your decision making process.
my 2 pennies
"Difficult" is an understatement... :D

Sadly, as I mentioned, my technical knowledge amounts roughly to that of a marmoset with a serious head injury, so although I know what I want "in general" (Mazdaspeed suspension bits) I don't actually know what I want specifically.

My endeavours to find such a beast as a "Mazdaspeed MX-3" are not going well. I've found a few which people have "nicknamed" as such, without any actual Mazdaspeed parts on the car.. D'oh!
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

See the red MX-3 in the main banner of the site?

THAT is THE Mazdaspeed MX-3.

Mazdaspeed wheels, bodykit (spoiler, front-end, sideskirts, etc), suspension, etc.

So there you go.

Any info on this car is probably mostly gone by now.

Good luck though.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Famine

Post by Famine »

atlantamx3 wrote:See the red MX-3 in the main banner of the site?

THAT is THE Mazdaspeed MX-3.

Mazdaspeed wheels, bodykit (spoiler, front-end, sideskirts, etc), suspension, etc.

So there you go.

Any info on this car is probably mostly gone by now.

Good luck though.
"The"? As in "One and only"? :shock:

Oh cripes...

Looks like I'm going to have to pull in a few favours and revise my kanji.

To coin a phrase. "Bugger.". Thanks for the info though...

Edit: Mind you, at least I have a head start on the colour...

(1998, UK-spec V6)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

[/quote]Sadly, as I mentioned, my technical knowledge amounts roughly to that of a marmoset with a serious head injury, so although I know what I want "in general" (Mazdaspeed suspension bits) I don't actually know what I want specifically.[/quote]

I'm not sure what motivates you to gravitate to acquiring a "Mazdaspeed MX3" Then again, I'm not really sure what motivates me to do what I do to my MX except to say that I guess it's away of personal expression. I can't really see much in the way of "personal expression" by being so singularly focused. Judging by the number of posts I think you may find as you filter through the old threads/posts that you may change your perspective, MAYBE. Mazdaspeed is not the end all to be all. In fact you may find those that prefer specific items over Mazdaspeed. In the end, it's that subtle combination of your journey's acquisitions moulded into that unique thing we call "MY RIDE". Be open to other options and possibilities, you'll still end up with "FAMINE'S RIDE"

A little more than just 2 pennies, I'd say.........LOL
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Famine

Post by Famine »

jschrauwen wrote:
Sadly, as I mentioned, my technical knowledge amounts roughly to that of a marmoset with a serious head injury, so although I know what I want "in general" (Mazdaspeed suspension bits) I don't actually know what I want specifically.
I'm not sure what motivates you to gravitate to acquiring a "Mazdaspeed MX3" Then again, I'm not really sure what motivates me to do what I do to my MX except to say that I guess it's away of personal expression. I can't really see much in the way of "personal expression" by being so singularly focused. Judging by the number of posts I think you may find as you filter through the old threads/posts that you may change your perspective, MAYBE. Mazdaspeed is not the end all to be all. In fact you may find those that prefer specific items over Mazdaspeed. In the end, it's that subtle combination of your journey's acquisitions moulded into that unique thing we call "MY RIDE". Be open to other options and possibilities, you'll still end up with "FAMINE'S RIDE"

A little more than just 2 pennies, I'd say.........LOL
That's about $1.50's worth... :D

The thing is, in the UK, modified cars attract a healthy penalty from one's insurance company. More or less ANY change to the car must, by law, be mentioned to your insurers - for which they'll increase your premium (and this includes stereos, wheels, bodykits, hell even leather seats - let alone under the skin modifications), or you risk not being covered at all in the event of an accident. And there's no way I'm paying £500 a year to someone only for them to turn round and tell me that they're not paying for any repairs to either my car or whoever the collision has taken place with - and then have them sue me for damages.

The key phrase is "Has the car been altered from the manufacturer's specifications in any way?"

This next part is a bit of a stretch, but bear with me. It is POSSIBLE to modify a car in such a way that it is reclassified by the manufacturer. I have an acquaintance who owned, briefly, a Lotus Elise S2. It had been modified, by Lotus engineers, to the specifications of a Type 25 Elise (which was a limited run) and as such Lotus agreed to reclassify it as a "Type 25", even giving it a little interior plaque with its number (something daft like 151/150).

Therefore, if it is possible to upgrade an MX-3 V6 into a Mazdaspeed MX-3 I'd have a slightly sharper handling - maybe slightly quicker, although since no-one can find any engine specs, this is just theorising) - MX-3 which could be reclassified as a "Mazdaspeed MX-3" and totally get around the insurer's question:

"Has the car been altered from the manufacturer's specifications in any way?"

A: No. It is a Mazdaspeed MX-3. So there. Nyah nyah nyah!

Frankly, I'm fishing. I am trying to get as much information about this as I possibly can before I even begin to decide IF I'm going to do it.

If I was just after a quicker car I wouldn't bother. I'd buy that 1999 Lotus Esprit V8 GT I've seen.
Famine

Post by Famine »

[Postwhore]

I've just been asking about, and the local Japanese car modification place says that 24 (yes, TWENTY FOUR) Mazdaspeed MX-3s came into the UK...
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

and what do they class as a mazdaspeed mx-3 cause as far as we know they never existed other then that pic of the red one in the main banner and i think that was just an mx with mazdaspeed parts never really a mazdaspeed mx-3 more so mazdaspeed's mx-3

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”