BP swap driving me nuts!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
matt_fulghum

BP swap driving me nuts!

Post by matt_fulghum »

Alright.... here's the deal. (I've got a 92 SOHC btw)

I decided before the swap (probably stupidly?) to keep the transmission in the car when I did the swap, so that I wouldn't have to mess with the axles. I got everything unbolted and unwired, and have the engine separated from the transmission..... sort of.......

Sort of, because it's sliding off the driveshaft, and then wham.... no room to move it. Can't get it back on the transmission properly it seems either (would I have to align the splines on the driveshaft with the clutch?).

So.... I'm kinda upset, to say the least (and it's damn cold up here in my area, so it's rather hard to work for extended periods of time outside at night when I get home from school). Now, here's my questions....

Would it be easier at this point to try to get off the pulleys, alternator, and passenger side motor mount to give it more room to slide off, or would it be easier to get the engine back onto the transmission and remove that with the rest of the engine as a unit?

It's so maddening..... I can see the end of the clutch assembly, but it's still about 2 or 3 centimeters in there.

What would you guys recommend? (I can get pictures if you think they'd help you)

I was trying to remove the crank pulley earlier tonight, but it just spins the belt. Is there any way to immobilize the crank, or somehow remove the bolt that's holding it on?

Another thing: the bolts for the holder plate for the starter motor are really tight, and seemingly impossible to get off (can't fit a breaker bar in there). How can I get them off?
Q

Post by Q »

Well with my engine swap experience i found it is easier to pull the engine and tranny together but to pull the engine it self isn't too hard.
To remove the crank pulley put a socket and breaker bar on the bolt in the center and hold that still as you undo the four little bolts around the pulley and it will just pop off.
To get the extra clearence you need to clear the tranny you have to remove everything on the passenger side of the motor. All the belts and pulleys have to come off and you could either pull the alternator off or just pull its pulley off.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Dropping the whole assembly Is usually the best route. If you already have the engine seprated though I would drop the transmission out of the bottom and pull the eninge threw the top. If you think the clearances are tight trying to get the old motor out dont forget a BP is 22mm longer,
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

okay, so the bolts holding the crank pulley on are the four bolts around the big center one? gotcha...

yeah, 22mm of DOOM! :P

do I have to remove the axle nuts to get the axles off of the transmission to drop it? the shop manual says I can just separate the axles from the transmission by jamming a bar between them. It doesn't go into too much detail however...

thanks for the replies.
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

oh yeah, and getting that starter motor alignment plate off....... how should I get those bolts loosened? I can reach them with a normal ratchet, but that just doesn't have enough strength to loosen them. I can't seem to get a breaker bar to them because of the junk in the compartment that's blocking me from really moving the bar around
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

ok when i did my swap i was exactly in your shoes. I just removed all accessories, all pulleys and especially that large center nut on the crank. you can't just drop the motor, you need to be creative and tilt and turn. i hope you have help because i sure needed it. when you think theres no way to get it in, it finally goes in. so good luck you u
bp mx-3
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

alright.... I got the pulleys off.... working on the bottom bolt of the alternator.

main question now is, how can I get the passenger side motor mount off? the last bolt down there is right in the way of the tube that goes into the manifold...... it's distinctly not cool.

Also, are there any easy angles to get that last starter support nut off of? it's driving me crazy!
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Now do you see why its sooo much easier just to pull it all at the same time??

Just re-attach the engine and pull everything out like you are supposed to.

Its doesnt take very long at all and is not much more work than you've already done.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

ah.... cruel cruel world :P

I've been able to pull it out to the point where I can SEE all the clutch cover bolts! The problem is that to pull it any further off, I need to get the alternator off, and the bottom bolt's about halfway out, but it doesn't seem to want to come any further! ack! Any advice on that?

Also, the P/S pump keeps getting stuck on its mounting plate, which I tried to remove, but the 12mm bolt on the side of the engine that I need to remove to get it off won't budge! (yes I liquid wrenched it)

Damnit.... snow storm coming in tonight too.... this is evil! :P
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

what's involved with pulling the axles out? I read all about people saying that they had a b---- of a time getting the axle nuts off, and looking at mine, it looks like I'd destroy them if I tried to.... reading the shop manual doesn't help either.... it just says insert a bar to pry them off the tranny, and has a very vague image.... can you help me out there Perry?
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

oh, and a shout-out to TyphoonK.... damn you to hell for making things look so easy to pull the engine without removing the tranny in your BP swap journal :D
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

matt_fulghum wrote:what's involved with pulling the axles out? I read all about people saying that they had a b---- of a time getting the axle nuts off, and looking at mine, it looks like I'd destroy them if I tried to.... reading the shop manual doesn't help either.... it just says insert a bar to pry them off the tranny, and has a very vague image.... can you help me out there Perry?
Thats pretty much it... you can use a pry bar to take the axles out. they also make a two-pronged wedge-fork thingy that is useful as well. I hink you just hammer it between the axle and the tranny. With simple science, the wedge pulls them apart.

As far as removing the axle nut-- just borrow an air gun or make a REALLY big cheater bar. :P
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Yeah it is a simple swap. The axel nuts should be the biggest of your worries. Why did you go for the engine only anyway? 3 of the 4 engine mounts are on the tranny why not just take it all out? Much easier.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

because.... TyphoonK suckered me with an easy way out... the bastard XD XD XD

whatev.... can't hold grudges, especially when the person you hold it against is way the hell away, so it ain't like I can go and give him a what-for :P

alright... I'm gonna go see if I can't put the engine back onto the tranny, put a few bolts in, and yank the thing as a unit.... I'm gonna have to remove the tranny anyway to put the BP in.

thanks for the help, I'll keep you updated on how it goes
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

oh yeah, another thing.... do I HAVE to remove those nuts? they really do look like they're on the verge of self-destruction :)

if I do, what size are they? 27mm?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”