High-pitched tea-kettle like noise....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Bradmx32003

High-pitched tea-kettle like noise....

Post by Bradmx32003 »

Hey, I asked this question before, but I think I have found a way to describe my problem better. I think my problem is a vacuum leak, but I just don't know where. After starting, especially in the cold, the car idles at about 2500RPM, and then goes down to a more reasonable 1200.

After the car is fully warmed up and has been driven for a little bit however, it will go down to like 400RPM. Obviously this isn't good, I think its a vac link. The highpitched noise is coming from around the throttlebody, but i'm not sure where exactly. It literally sounds almost exactly like a kettle would, any ideas??

The noise is more of an anoyance but im thinking it is linked to the low idle problem. I took a can of carb cleaner and sprayed that stuff all over the place hoping that would help me find where the problem is, but no luck, or maybe im not doing it right. Any suggestions would be great. Also, vaccum lines are simply those little black hoses running all over the place correct?
Red 1992 Mx-3 GS, all stock.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

the car is suppose to idle lower as it warms up..thats how it works ...hmm 400 is a lil low...i think normal is around 700-800. Id just adjust my idle screw till it idles at 700 when warm. then id look for the vacum leak .try sparaying carb cleaner where u think the leak is coming from. If the idle flucuates, thats ur prob.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

if you give it more throttle what happens?

if the sound gets higher or louder check your air ilter.
I want MAZDASPEED!
MY WEBSITE:: http://kingmx.net
Bradmx32003

Post by Bradmx32003 »

400 RPM is where its at when its fully warmed up... When I hit the gas, it responds as it should, which leads me to beleive it's not o2 sensors or anything... I suppose I can check my air filter, I doubt its that, but worth a shot. Any other ideas would be great..
Red 1992 Mx-3 GS, all stock.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Like i said if u think u know where the leak is, use the carb spray on it..and if the idle flucuates..there a leak there.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
justintoxicated

Post by justintoxicated »

hey brad, i am having the same problem...i was gonna ask about it but didnt know how to describe the sound...the tea kettle description is perfect...let me know if you figure out what it is.
Got Rice? You do!
Chadley

Post by Chadley »

no more tea!
Last edited by Chadley on March 30th, 2005, 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

I had the same sound n mine was really something stupid, but it might be your problem. theres a little black hose that plugs into the intake manifold, i pushed it on better n it went right away. you said yours was from the tb side soo i dunno if this will help
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”