Looking at speakers...

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Neil

Looking at speakers...

Post by Neil »

I went looking at speakers today, and the shop i went to was trying to sell me some Clarion Pro Audio 6 1/2 Coaxial Speakers(all 4) part#SRR1685 with a Clarion Pro Audio Deck part#DXZ745MP $600 cdn was what they wanted to charge me for everything before installation. I'm just lookin for some input on this setup from somone on here who knows something about car audio.

The Deck Clarions Site
The Speakers Clarions Site
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

the deck is a good deck, but you need an amp for the speakers. clarion decks are famous for not putting out enough power.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

i can't personally vouche for or against the quality of clarion's stuff, but based on the specs for the head and speakers i'd say the price is about right. my only complaints about the deck if i were to get it is that it only has a 2 band equalizer (adjust trebble and bass and nothing in between basically) and that it doesn't have a high pass filter. do these matter? only if you need to play with levels and have a sub really. if it's what you like, i'd say go for it.
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm basically just looking for 4 good speakers with a bit of bass (not like a sub, but nice bass) and a deck. I didnt really wanna spend over $500 but an extra $100 isnt that bad over what i had planned, i have no future plans to ever add a sub or anything big. Im not a big audio guy as long as i have music that sounds good on 4 speakers im happy. But if there might be some cheaper speakers/deck you know of that are almost as good or just as good let me know and i'll go check them out! :) Really all i need is a nice deck that plays mp3's of disc with good speakers.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

in that case, the speakers are a bit overkill but will probably sound good.
if you can, find some way to listen to different speakers with a similar head unit and pick the ones that sound good. i think the clarion SRR1627 speakers would be good, but i don't know. personnaly i'm an audiophile so i end up with more expensive stuff.
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
Neil

Post by Neil »

How about these Alpine Type S speakers? Alpines Site

I'd like to have a deck made by the same manufactor as the speakers. I liked that clarion deck but i cant find an alpine one as good on there site in the same price range.
Invisible

Post by Invisible »

I actually have the Alpine type r speakers ( the next up from type s ) I listened to both and Type r had alot cleaner sound (although they are almost twice as much, $450 or something for all 4, where the type S were $260 for all 4 at Audio Video.) As for my deck, I prefer to have the same brand as my speakers but on boxing day I got a killer deal on my deck so I am not too concerned with it.

Edit: The Type S speakers are still great speakers and not that expensive, so I would definetely recommend those, but if you got extra cash, the Type R are great :)
Invisible
93 GS Tropical Emerald Metallic MTX 1.8L
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

Those clarions will treat you well but they will need a small 4 channel amp (you probly wanna throw about 40 watts RMS to each speaker for good, clean sound) Clarions and any other deck for that matter are too weak running around 10-20 watts depeding on the deck. (not MAX power by the way, max power is an outright lie!)
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
Legato626

eclipse!!

Post by Legato626 »

well i have ran a few decks but the one that got my eye was eclipse. I have yet to see a deck beat eclipse in sound quality. Yes they do cost alot but well warth the money for it i think. But if you are looking for some speakers and you want to be heard before seen. Eclipse Point Source Series the new 3-way speakers.They were designed for amps.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/index_speaker.html

The deck i am runing is the CD5444 model

http://www.eclipse-web.com/index_cd.html

(well i got the older vs of it but the older one sounds better i heard but i dont see a differents) am planing to sell it to get the CD8454 model. So if you are looking at a good deck drop me a message.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”