neutral saftey switch??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Joey's mx

neutral saftey switch??

Post by Joey's mx »

What does the neutral safety switch do on a manual tranny?? Does this have to be hooked up??
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Its in series with the starter motor solenoid so you can't crank the engine with it in gear.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

So it doesnt have to be hooed up??
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Actually, there seems to be a neutral switch for the start solenoid and also a neutral switch that supplys a ground signal to the ECU. I'll try and look a bit further to see if I can work it out...
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

It seems like the "starter interlock switch" is located on the clutch pedal bracket which means the one on the tranny only supplies a signal to the ECU.

What purpose this is for I don't know. Somebody?
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Not really sure but mine isnt hooked up and it starts.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Why would you not hook it up?

When I did the Auto->Manual Conversion, The neutral switch and the reverse switch would not hook into my automatic dash harness.

(They hook into the Dash harness, not the ECU Harness)

It is supposed to keep you from starting the vehicle while the car is in gear. So, if you disconnect it, be SURE that your car is in neutral everytime you start the car or you wil royally screw the starter & flywheel.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

when its broken your car most likely will start in gear, talk about damage man. Had that problem on pos civic I had, but I always remembered it. Automatics have it too, doesnt let you start in gear.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Why would you not hook it up?
Its because the wired ripped out when i pulled my engine out !! I never put my car in gear before starting it!! Whatexacly will it do if it was in gear though??
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

if its ripped and your car is in gear yes itll start in gear and most likely ruin your bumper and whatever is in front of your car...ie your cat, mom, or girlfriend lol
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

what's the wiring colour of the neutral safety switch at the ECU? and what plug? (lets make this a good thread).
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Yeah I would like to know this too since my plug is missing and I dont know what wires go to it.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Again, Like I said in a previous post-- the Neutral switch (and the reverse switch) does not plug into the ECU harness.

It plugs into the DASH harness which come into the engine bay on the drivers side through a large grommet up in the drivers kickwell.

I believe the wire colors are green and black, but I am not positive right off hand.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

All the wires coming out of the reverse switch and the neutral switch are all green. And I dont have any green wires on my dash harness, bastards.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

?????? You guys are really confusing me... I think someone said that the car is NOT supposed to start it gear?? I've never been in a car that doesn't start in gear, thats what the switch in the clutch is for, so you can start the car when the clutch is in. Even if its in neutral, you will still need to push the clutch. Older civics had it so that if it was in neutral, you wouldn't need to push the clutch, but if it was in gear you would (wish the Mx-3 was like that). Anyways if our car has a safety switch in the transmission for the reverse, it's probably just for the reverse lights to come on. If you think the switch is bad then just put it in reverse and put the switch into the "ON" possition and check if the reverse light turns on. Besides that, it should have absolutely no function, since the one that wont let it start is the one on the clutch pedal itself.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”