MX-3 electrical craziness!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mamoo

MX-3 electrical craziness!

Post by mamoo »

Hello, all... new user and excited MX-3 owner here. (white '95 auto)

At least I was excited when I bought it two weeks ago. After a few days, however, the alternator died. Well, the dealer was nice about it, he replaced it without charging me for labor.

But now the alternator seems to have died again! At least, the "charge" light suddenly came on today.

I can tell you exactly when it happened. Driving home, coming off the highway, I had the wipers going, the heat going, the radio on ... I turned off into a sort of a ravine-type thing, switched on the lights, and immediately noticed a loss of power.

Luckily I made it home, but it's incredibly maddening.

Any idea how bad the problem is? Is this thing a lemon? I guess something's overloading the system somewhere, but what? The batter's new and is fine (I had it tested).

One thing I noticed is that the alternator belt (at least I'm pretty sure it was the alternator belt) was quite a squealer, a problem that was reduced when I bought some of that spray-on belt-conditioner stuff.

Please please please don't tell me the thing is totally screwed!
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Well my guess would be that the since the belt is making noise and you just replaced the altenator is that the belt is slipping!! Try tighteneing the tension on the belt and see if that helps out any?? good luck!!
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Er ... how do I do that?

I'm good with my hands, but never done this particular operation before.

At any rate, I'm not sure that slippage would account for all this ...?
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

if your belt is cracked up replace it. Charge your battery. Your alternator may be bad again( defective part) Get it checked!
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Sure, a too loose belt could absolutely cause your seeming elec overload. Even if it's not squealing, could be too loose to handle the accessory load and keep enough current charging the battery which is why your warning light comes on. Alt belt tension adjustment range seems pretty narrow on these cars. My 95 RS did same thing when I bought it used a few years ago. The old belt had slipped and squealed enough that it glazed and so slipped even after tightening. I replaced the belt with a decent Gates brand and had to readjust tension twice the week after install because the new belt will stretch a little as it breaks in.

Adjustment is very straightforward. I believe it takes a 14mm socket (or maybe 15mm?) to loosen the lower alt mounting bolt a bit and a 12mm socket to adjust the long threaded belt-tensioning bolt on top. Careful not to overtighten that one though or you could ruin the bearings on your new alt by over-tensioning the belt. The tensioning bolt is a nice Mazda feature that allows finer adjustment without having to leverage tension using a pry bar against the alternator. Mazda recommends a gauge be used to measure belt deflection but I used the old method of moderate thumb pressure on the longest belt span at the center point between pulleys for ~1/2" deflection.
Last edited by neutral on January 24th, 2005, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

if you didnt change the belt when you changed the altenator that would be the reason it is making noise!!! If the belt would be slipping the altenator would not be running at its fullest causing the charge system to drop!!! Loosen the altenator bolt and pry back on the altenator and tighten the bolt back up!! Good luck!!!
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Thanks a ton for the input, guys! I'm gonna give it a shot.

(and by the way, the alternator belt is new)

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. It's a gorgeous hunk of machinery, I love driving it, and I'm amazed by how many people stare at it.

C'mon, Mazda, justify my love!
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Okay, here's an update.

First of all, I checked the alternator belt, and yeah, it was way loose, so I tightened it up. Thank you Mazda for including that handy-dandy tightening lug, but damn you to hell for sticking it in the back where anyone above the age of six will have a hard time reaching it!

Anyway, after some scraping of knuckles, I did the tightening, decided it was too tight, and relaxed it just a tad. Turned her over, and voila! No "charge" light, electrical power seems normal!

However, the incredibly loud squealing is continuing. After listening with the hood up, I've decided the noise is now coming from further to the front, from the other belt (timing belt?). I also noticed that it's hella tight. I'm talking rock solid, won't give at all. Is that too tight? Should I loosen it up? (and was that another handy-dandy adjustment bolt I spotted beside the forward pulley?) Or is it maybe just the cold weather, so should I just leave well enough alone?

Whoah! I checked it again, and there's even a slight burning rubber smell from the timing belt (if it is the timing belt)! That can't be good, can it?
Last edited by mamoo on January 24th, 2005, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Well it shouldnt be tight like a tiger:) but snug enough so it doesnt slip!! Good job with the altenator!! Try loosening the power steering belt and spray some of the belt lube you have and that should fix the noise!! Good luck!!
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Joey's mx wrote:Well it shouldnt be tight like a tiger:) but snug enough so it doesnt slip!! Good job with the altenator!! Try loosening the power steering belt and spray some of the belt lube you have and that should fix the noise!! Good luck!!
Ah, the power steering belt, that's what it is? Interesting.

So where's the thing to allow me to loosen it? Is it beside the frontmost wheel?

And should the give, like the alternator belt, be about half an inch under moderate pressure?
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Yes the belt should be as tight as the altenator belt....The bolt is in the front!!! But you have to loosen a bolt right under the pulley, so it can move!! The bolt in the front is the tensioner!! Good luck
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Joey's mx wrote:Yes the belt should be as tight as the altenator belt....The bolt is in the front!!! But you have to loosen a bolt right under the pulley, so it can move!! The bolt in the front is the tensioner!! Good luck
Dang ... I have to reach under the pulley?!?!

What if I just adjust the tensioner so that it's not as tense? Would that be okay?
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Sorry but you should first loosen that lower mounting bolt and retighten it after the tension adjustment is made. Good job on the alternator. Also, you describe a squealing noise that could be due to low power steering fluid level. Check that reservoir level while you are in there.
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

neutral wrote:Sorry but you should first loosen that lower mounting bolt and retighten it after the tension adjustment is made. Good job on the alternator. Also, you describe a squealing noise that could be due to low power steering fluid level. Check that reservoir level while you are in there.
Ah, good call. Thanks!
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Okay, well, I wasn't able to locate the lower mounting bolt, but I discovered that the squealing actually still seemed to be coming from the alternator belt.

So I went back and tightened it a bit more (scraping my knuckles again in the process), sprayed in some of that belt juice, and it seems to have stopped -- and power levels seem to be normal!

I'll keep an eye on it and readjust as necessary, but things seem okay.

Thanks a ton, you guys! You not only killed my panic, you made everything better!

This place rocks.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”