New Body Kit in progress

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
stepchyld

New Body Kit in progress

Post by stepchyld »

Hello, anybody, everybody!
I have tossed this idea around and have finally decided to make it happen. I have had my mx3 for now nearly 7 years, and have constantly searched for a body kit I truly like. I won't argue that there are some very good looking sets available. But I've wanted something that goes with the car, flows with its lines, that accentuates it. Yet still put together form and function. This is not going to be a gaudy style.
I am beginning on the front bumper cover this week. I plan to make this a viable design, that I can recreate. I then intend to make side skirts and possibly a rear bumper cover.
I want to 'test the waters' so to speak. I will design and patent my pieces, then produce them myself. I wouldn't be able to do this without selling them, of course. As this is a self funded project, I have to consider the marketability of them. If there is a lot of interest, I will even considering taking this to the next level and making them from some form of polyurethane, for vastly increased durability.
So, I'm wondering if any of you would be interested in a new design, would you consider it? Any amount of interest will definately boost the motivation of this development.
I will provide pics as soon as a patent can be processed, after the prototype is designed and fitted.
Thank you.
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

do it and do it now! I have answered at least 6 or seven bodykit posts in the past 24 hours on here. Theres definately a market!
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

always good to have some variety when shopping for a bodykit.
post some pics up as you progress, good luck. :2thumbsup:
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

molding a kit is easy since our body stile is that of the eclipse mand cavalier (believe it or not) so anykit they have can be easily adapted. I gave my brother a rear spoiler i had bought for 60 dlls..the thing looked squared..you know what he did :O he chopped it in half..molded and designed some small parts and walla. that stuff looks nice. I wish I could have kept it. Oh well . I know i can get any custom kit here done for around 350 dlls installed :D I love living in the border...now why havent I done this? well I want a ZE BAD ..so i rahter save up.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Thanks for the enthusiasm 93SOHC! Much appreciated.
And Fry_81, that's what I'm trying to do: make a kit that doesn't change the flow of the car, as most of the other kits do just that. I'm also studying aerodyamic design and theory, so my kit will be more than just looks.
hgallegos915, I'd like to do the same to mine, or maybe build a turbo 1.6 dohc, I don't know which I'd rather do yet. But for now, I need a bumper cover, and I'd rather make my own. I bought one a few years years ago, fiberglass. Looked good, but there were numerous defects. The lower part of it was destroyed when I hit a possum, and I didn't request to keep my old one from its body shop vacation. I just wonder if anyone might be interested in what I create, something new and different.
Thanks for the support!
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

If yer totally serious and it's not gonna cost me over a grand, I just may wait on buying a kit. I was thinking about all my options, but I really wanna get something soon, cause my stock rs bumper is totally wasted! Looks horrible!
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

I am serious, but I cannot estimate a timeframe for this project. I want to have it all together within two months. I have to create the prototypes first and go from there. However, materials bon't behave very well in this type weather. Wishing again that I had a garage!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

post some pics of your ideas/photoshop
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Searching for the best photoshop program I can get, to put in focus what I want to accomplish.
Any ideas? I'm still newish to the computer age, so I've no experience with any photo editing software.
That will change very soon...
Thanks
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Something along the lines of simple but stylish. I still think the best bumber out there is the MS front. Maybe a variation of that.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
Mexos

Post by Mexos »

sounds good m8 :D
Looking good.
X: 1992 Mx3 Gs.
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Update, just in case...
I'm finally getting a shop to work in! Well, it's a large garage. Adequate for my needs, for sure. So, the body kit can begin, in my shop. I'll be updating more, as this progresses.
simple, stylish, yes. I will have it flow with the rest of the car, I've always liked its style, and want to do something new, for the car.
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

can't wait to see some real progress on this man :D
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Sorry to anyone who's been waiting for some word. Back problems have delayed progress, and thoroughly pissed me off. I'm wanting to get this together! Will continue to update as progress occurs, and I am determined-it will!
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: New Body Kit in progress

Post by Custommx3 »

stepchyld wrote:Hello, anybody, everybody!
I have tossed this idea around and have finally decided to make it happen. I have had my mx3 for now nearly 7 years, and have constantly searched for a body kit I truly like. I won't argue that there are some very good looking sets available. But I've wanted something that goes with the car, flows with its lines, that accentuates it. Yet still put together form and function. This is not going to be a gaudy style.
I am beginning on the front bumper cover this week. I plan to make this a viable design, that I can recreate. I then intend to make side skirts and possibly a rear bumper cover.
I want to 'test the waters' so to speak. I will design and patent my pieces, then produce them myself. I wouldn't be able to do this without selling them, of course. As this is a self funded project, I have to consider the marketability of them. If there is a lot of interest, I will even considering taking this to the next level and making them from some form of polyurethane, for vastly increased durability.
So, I'm wondering if any of you would be interested in a new design, would you consider it? Any amount of interest will definately boost the motivation of this development.
I will provide pics as soon as a patent can be processed, after the prototype is designed and fitted.
Thank you.

Patents are expensive...

remember to talk to jeff before selling.

Return to “New Product Development”