gs swap questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
stepchyld

gs swap questions

Post by stepchyld »

I know this has been tossed around a bit already. But my plans are still in theoretical phase. I have a 94 rs mtx and a 93 gs auto (bad tranny). the days of my 4 cyl are numbered due to circumstances beyond my control. I had considered swapping an mtx for the gs, but now I've got a poser. So I'm now considering swapping the 1.8, with mtx, into my rs, which has everything for the mtx. I know I'll need an ecu, tranny, slave cylinder, clutch, starter and throttle position sensor. The things I'm not sure about: Will the wiring harness from the auto gs work for a manual equipped gs? Are there things I need that I'm not aware of? I know I'll have to swap front springs. Is there anything else?
Any ideas?
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

As far as I know you can use a ATX ecu and harness on a MTX motor/tranny. But it doesn't work the other way around. I'd guess there's probably will be a few unused plugs/wires after the swap for the ATX but they shouldn't throw any codes....
Invisible

Post by Invisible »

Yea, Rick is right, Ive heard it can be done one way, but it can't be reversed to work the other, I am just not sure which way it could be done.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

There are a few extra wires into the ATX ECU, which have no function with the MTX. I'd guess that the ATX ECU would still work without them. You can see them at Pages F2-142 to 148. 1K, 1S, 1V & 2P.

Note that 1R is neutral switch and clutch switch, not Park & Neutral. You would have to wire that up separately, or do without it. You won't get the revs rising when you go to engage gear, so you'll have to give a little more gas when you move off, and change gear. Most cars I've driven don't have it, so its no big deal.

1U is a ground in MTX but not used in ATX.

There is also a starter interlock switch between the ignition key switch and the starter. In the ATX its on the transmission, in the MTX its on the clutch pedal. One way round it would be to connect the wires together and the car will then start in gear - all our cars in UK are like that, and we generally remember, but if your car was used by someone who didn't know....................
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Thanks for the tips guys! am I right about the things which need to be swapped? I don't wanna buy things I don't need, but I want to get this right, as the running mx has limited (how much is anybody's guess) lifespan. I'm getting a little giddy about having a functioning v6.
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”