Spongy brake issue.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
DJester187

Spongy brake issue.

Post by DJester187 »

Ok lately my brakes have been very 'inconsistant'. Sometimes when I press on them they are firm and stop very effectively, but more and more I'll push them and they are very spongy. So spongy that I, no joke, have to push them to the floor before they grab enough to slow the car. Pumping them helps sometimes, but not usually. I have also felt them give a few times when I was already pressing them, the 'firm' brake ped will spontaneously sink down closer to the floor and become the 'spongy' brake ped. The brake fluid level is fine. I was thinking it could be the master cyl. Any suggestions?
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
Invisible

Post by Invisible »

Could possibly be the fact that there is air in the system. Did this just happen out of the blue or is it a problem after a rebuilt? If it was a rebuild they may have left air in the system( it was not fully bled ).

Also could be a loose break line? Too much fluid getting in the drum, if you have to stand on the breaks to make the car stop check into this.

Invis
AZN_playboy21

Post by AZN_playboy21 »

have u ever flushed the system? if the fluid is new, then u probably need a new master
have u done any work to the brakes recently? like calipers or cylinders?
might have air in the systerm

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”