AWD PROTEGE TRANNY SWAP

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i say screw hime....u know most people on the PHPBB mx is a daily driver or dont have the money to do the conversion.

I remeber this guy i think.........every one said it wasnt worth it & was expensive....

so he found the expensive part out
so what if he runs in the low 15's
he a dork
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

mazda78
origionally i though the same. but nothing bolts up. the MX struts wont even bolt up to the rear end. but the AWD 323 struts will bolt into the towers. its not all that hard to fab. but you have to make everything fit. nothing bolts up. the best way is to get a doner car to cut the tunnel and floor pans out of. its not too difficult but its going to be a paine. but i think the end result is well worth it.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

What you guys may not realize, is that the AWD tranny is crap. It cant handle too much power. That was the Bane of the GTX-- the tranny kept crapping out.

Good luck-- but in my opinion its not worth the $$ to do the conversion.

I do want to see pics when you get it done!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
phredren

Post by phredren »

Ok you guys can go and swap in the AWD transmission, but don't complain when your car folds in two because you chopped out important structural areas of the floor pan :D
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

I think you guys (at least Josh) has a good idea on what you are doing and can do a great job. Hope everything turns out for the best!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

phredren wrote:Ok you guys can go and swap in the AWD transmission, but don't complain when your car folds in two because you chopped out important structural areas of the floor pan :D
yah i think not :) . before any chopping goes on, the 8 point role cage goes in. pluss a few extra stableizer bars. then you cut and weld. not before. other wise you will screw the whole thing up. you will be going down the road sidewase. i definatle know what im doing (to some extent :? ) but iv got several people helping me out. and iv located a trans thats a little stronger than the one found in the 323 GTX. pluss it will be able to handle a bit more power than just a FWD trans cause majority of the power goes straight to the rear. the thing to worrie about is the rear end. iv heard that with power they can go out quite easly, unless you throw in a LSD. i know of several 323's running 12's with totaly stock drive train, except for the LSD. i was origionally going to go RWD but its easer to go AWD. almost as much work. but you dont have to mess with the engine bay quite as much. i persionally think RWD is better but for 1/4 mile times AWD is better, alot quicker 0-60.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”