check engine light

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
misfitsfiend

check engine light

Post by misfitsfiend »

last night i was driving my mx that i just got back from the garage about a week ago... i had it in 5th gear going about 120km/hr and the check engine light would keep coming on.. as soon as i stopped pressing the gas and got to about 100-110km/hr and pressed the gas again.. the check engine light would turn off... but then like maybe 10 or 15 minutes later it would come back on... anyone know the deal with this f---ing light?

if it helps it was pretty f---ing cold outside too ...
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

pull the codes and look up what they are. I think the procedure is in the FAQ.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The post in the FAQ has been unformatted and is hard to read.

Theres a copy of that article on my web site below under "info". Hope that helps!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Grants wrote:The post in the FAQ has been unformatted and is hard to read.
Yea, or you can copy all the info, and paste it into a blank notepad page and save as filename.html then double click the new saved file and it will show up perfectly in your browser. Then if you want to take it a step further you can copy paste that file into MS word and it will be a perfect word.doc with bullets and all...
Invisible

Post by Invisible »

Well im going to go out on a limb here and assume you were on the freeway and the car was warm( at operating temp), therefore the cold weather woulden't be a factor, or shoulden't rather. If you just got it back from the garage, what was it in for? I mean we can't help ya much if we don't know what was done to the car. All we can tell you is to check the codes. Just tighten your gas cap and oil cap and hope to hell that was the problem ;)

Invis
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

gas and oil caps being loose will only throw a code on an OBD2 car, which ours aren't.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Invisible

Post by Invisible »

Good point, I suppose I should stop posting in the early morning hours :roll:

Invis
yvan

Post by yvan »

here's your best bet.. its probably gonna be an egr code..check egr for operation.. and check engine coolent temp. same problem happen to me.. replace egr,,,coolent temp,,, ..now its working fine..
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

why replace EGR... my EGR valves malfunctioned and my car runs fine... it won't hurt anything... haven't gone for inspection yet, so i don't know about emissions

i've read up on EGR's and this is how i understand it... when the EGR goes bad, then ECU has in its memory an override process which eliminates the need for the EGR. I guess it sort of works like a "back-up"--- EGR goes bad, ECU tells the engine to work in this new way, the back-up way....

P.S. correct me if i'm wrong. i like to find out about my misconceptions/misunderstandings to be more knowledgeable and well-rounded
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”