rear brake calipers

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
sloggy

rear brake calipers

Post by sloggy »

How does one free the handbrake (e brake) caliper? They seem to be seized up on my poor car. They are disc brakes. The cable seems fine and the rear brakes work fine as foot brakes.
AZN_playboy21

Post by AZN_playboy21 »

u have to rebuild them, send it to a builder
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

or get new calipers
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

mine do that every now and then. if you take a flat blade screw driver and either pri between the shoes or get a screwdriver in there and pop it a couple times with a hammer.

i was looking into rebuilding mine and everyone said their was no rebuild kit for it i looked everywhere, same with the master cylnder. and new calipers were going to cost me 78 USD each at the lowest price i could find.
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

having worked at a parts store for 2 years, I have heard this many times. Just an FYI: Nearly knowone in the aftermarket parts business makes caliper rebuild kits. And if you could find one by the time it was all said and done, bought and paid for, you coulda just slapped on some new ones. Once in a while you can find a rebuild kit if the parts place has not sent all thier old kits back for credit though...
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
AZN_playboy21

Post by AZN_playboy21 »

all of the calipers that u buy from parts stores, are rebuilds
u can rarely get new calipers , and if u could, they would probably be double the price
and i don't recomend trying to rebuild ur own calipers, it's not worth the risk over a couple of bucks
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

yes, most are rebuilt. But the rebuild kits are hard to find over the counter.
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

well when it comes to older cars. like my 55' Ford. iv rebuilt every cylnder in it myself with kits sold over the counter. its only in the last couple of years that you cant really buy a rebuild kit. and they are really cheep it you can find one. around 10 bucks a caliper. i know an old demistic is going to be different but it sux that the cheepest remans i can find are 78 USD. i can get bran new ones for 130 each. it was like when i was trying to rebuild my turbo. no one would sell me a kit for it and said their wasnt one. so i called a decent turbo shop. and they had it the next day. i think its cause most people dont do their own stuff anymore.
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

all very true Josh. I worked at the largest Napa in thhe midwest, I think its the 6th largest in the country and we always had people looking for wheel cylinders and calipers rebuild kits. Our suppliers stopped selling them cause rebuilt calipers and w/c's are so cheap now. Back in the day I bet you could barely find calipers at all, cause everyone just rebuilt thier own stuff
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

93SOHC wrote:all very true Josh. I worked at the largest Napa in thhe midwest, I think its the 6th largest in the country and we always had people looking for wheel cylinders and calipers rebuild kits. Our suppliers stopped selling them cause rebuilt calipers and w/c's are so cheap now. Back in the day I bet you could barely find calipers at all, cause everyone just rebuilt thier own stuff
yah it sux cause i got all the old school honing tools just for brake and master cylnders. oh well what can ya do.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”