STILL KNOCKING, HELP

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
goldsberry1

STILL KNOCKING, HELP

Post by goldsberry1 »

ok i changed the timeing belt tensioner and its still knocking, but not as bad i dont think. its definetly comeing from the front bank of cylinders. you think a piston is hitting the head? or detonation? i really need help here fast i have to do a very long drive in 2 weeks so i have to have it running right quickly. please help.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Its not the lash adjusters?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Have someone that knows well about cars look at it.. DO NOT drive the car like this..if its a worn crank saft there is still hope. What you have to do is check the bearings (in the oil pan) Ceck to see if they are worn or loose, not sure how to on the gs (remove the bearings and check them do not mix em up, put them in th order they were. If you see the metal pieces that go between the cam and beatings scratched, broken aka..the cam is damaged. Take out resurface, new bearings and metals. Not as expensive as it sounds (here in the us machine shops do it for around 150 depending on where you go and if you do the work yourself) Ten well put evetything back the way it should and walla..knocking gone. OR you IF it is this, you can invest on a klde or klze much much more fun (so ive eard) OH and well make sure you rule out everything else of course. Seems to me it may be the engine itself since you replaces tensioner. Another thing, run the car with all the belts off( not daily driving) and check to see if you still hear the knocking, could be the bearings on one of your pulleys. Sorry fot this long post, just that all of these have happened to me, once it was the power steering pulley bearings the other time it was water pump and once it really was the bearings on the engine (cavalier)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

welli know its not the lower end bearings. they are brand new. and when i built the motor i chaecked all the clearances very carefully. i ran the motor yesterday and after it warmed up the knocking went away. but the i shut it off and it wouldnet start back untill it cooled some. but then it started right away. i'm chacngeing the oil and plugs again today. oh and since i rebuilt this engine it has only ran about 45 min all together.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

sounds like HLAs, mine has a slight knock till it gets warm a bit
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

goldsberry1 wrote:welli know its not the lower end bearings. they are brand new. and when i built the motor i chaecked all the clearances very carefully. i ran the motor yesterday and after it warmed up the knocking went away. but the i shut it off and it wouldnet start back untill it cooled some. but then it started right away. i'm chacngeing the oil and plugs again today. oh and since i rebuilt this engine it has only ran about 45 min all together.
That sounds like bearings. Your crank is probably worn causing you to prematurely wear out bearings. I put 2 sets in last summer. The first set was my first time doing them so I figured I may have done it wrong, the second set I know 100% for sure they were done right and within hours it started doing the same thing again. I thought the knocking went away after it warmed up, but if I went under the car, I could still hear it very faintly so I knew it was still there. If I can give a recomendation for changing bearings, pull the motor, put it upside down and put the motor back in. It's faster and easier than trying to do it laying on your back underneath the car
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

my recent knocking came from the water pump.. sounded almost like a rod knock :shock: but if you're not leaking anything then it prolly isnt that.
92 Autozam AZ3
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well i knocking finally went away. the tensioner did it i think. i warmed the engine up and it faded away and hasnt came back. now my oil pan is leaking. do you use cork gaskets or just silicon? this sucks now because i just changed the oil today.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”