Possible GB: Seat Re-uphostery kits

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Taras

Post by Taras »

Perry was gonna post all the details, but it has dumped in Victoria a few feet of snow and here we like our flowers in February, so he could not get out of the house for a few days. I know that he was gonna re-upholster a seat in Leather looking Vinyl to show the work. I think it was about Cad$300 a seat (front seat) that we talked about with estimated donation to the forum included. But I will let him post full details. This just gives you a ballpark. When he did my seats, I paid Cad$300 a seat in top quality tweed with my backs and zippers being reused. These kits will be complete, all the backs and zippers and all. Then I had to pay taxes 14.5% and stuff. And I thought I was getting a good deal from him. Everyone else were quoting me from C$420 to C$550 a seat. I think, Perry would not charge anything extra for different colours of stitching or patterns. It will not be a stock pattern, may be we all can agree on something different that all can be happy with. You guys saw my seats right? Look on Mx-West website under Members, under my name.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

but the point of a groupbuy is money savings. And since we are talking about an identical seat, the templates will all be the same.

Since there is less tooling time & prep work..the only real cost of these seatcovers past the time it takes to make templates is the fabric itself & the stitching time involved in fabricating each cover.

I would think this buy would be significantly lower than $600 CAD for two seats, for the basic fabrics (nothing fancy)
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Yeah my thoughts excactely... at that price i could get it done myself, i would have to pay tax but i wouldnt have the shipping ontop then
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

just to let you know there is no tooling in upholstery. Everything is done by hand and the prep work is the same for every peace. The only thing you can save on is if you use a template and cut all the peaces for ever seat at once but that only saves 10-20 min not much. The big savings is in materials the larger the order the cheaper and less waist but that's only if every one get the same colour.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
Taras

Post by Taras »

If you guys look at the price I paid and the price Perry is giving you, it is cheaper. And yes, the only saving an upholsterer would have is the fact that he is making a volume sale. Whether he is making one seat cover or twenty, it is still the same amount of work for each cover.

It's not just bunch of pieces of fabric stitched together. Try cutting them out first. If you are talking about a top notch seat re-upholstery, then it has to be stitched properly, seams reinforced with special foam, each seating surface facing fabric peiece has also be stiched with foam backing, so when you make stitch patterns on it, it actually looks 3D.
Look at the seat in the picture below. If you think it is worth $100, then go get a set of seat covers from your local WalMart and be happy.
This is my thinking behind re-upholstering stock seats. First of all they are pretty good seats. Only thing I did to mine is making a better lumbar and now they are very comfy. So if you go and get a set of generic eBay seats, you will not get quality of fabric. It may last you for a few years tops. Will you even fit on those? And if you will, race seats are not practical in everyday driving anyway. And the most important factor in those seats, is that they are not safe. Made of cheaply welded steel tubes that could be twisted easily. Tried APC seats, and the whole back could be twisted with two hands. Try that in an accident. Seats are designed to help you survive in an accident, cheap seats will not help you. So for couple of hundered bucks a seat, with cheap seats you still have to pay shipping. Will they fit onto your car? Good luck with sliders and brackets, and if you want decent ones that fit Mx-3 floor, you have to pay for them almost $100 per set. I always see peeps being so very happy with their aftermarket seats, except they are too high or too low or too wide. Then look at Sparco, OMP, MOMO, Recaro or even cheaper Corbeau. They are from $400 to 1200 a seat for reclineable ones. I love those and I am sure they are nice, but too heavy. Most at 38-40lbs per seat. Stock ones are 33lbs.

And this is how I decided to re-upholster my seats. But of course there is always the seat cover route. You get what you pay for.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
perry

Post by perry »

Hey everyone!,
Here's the just on my prices for this GB. I've given this alot of thought. There are several factors to consider if you're not aware.
#1- $595.00 Cnd is for a complete pair of covers gauranteed to fit-WELL
#2-For US customers, you get the exchage discount to your benefit
#3- I'm not charging the 14.5% tax so I lose out, not you.
#4-On a GB there is a % that goes to the site owner and to Taras whom has been very helpful. That also comes out of the price.
#5- The amount of time to do 1 kit is multiplied by 10. The bit of time saved is the fact that the pattern is the same. If everyone ordered the same material, I could save on the material price . I'm setting this price because I don't know who's ordering what.
#6-I've seen alot of badly sewn covers in my 15 years of business. Even
covers bought premade are not always well sewn whether vinyl or leather. We constantly fix other seat kits and in the end the customer pays more.
I'm offering everyone a chance to GB a set of covers they can be proud of. I take pride in every kit I make. The fit and finish from the look to the seams will be professional. Colour combo's are not a problem. I'd like to keep the material choice simple, but can do custom within reason. I'd like to hear your coments good or bad.
Perry-
I can email anyone pictures of my work.
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

I think it looks splendid! Altough, I wish that the GB will include back seat covers as well. I think it would look rather dull if I have those wicked front seats and people look in the back and, hmm, there they are, those old worn rag-tags... What is your opinion about this? Oh, and shipment to Western Europe?
'92 GS
My worklog
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I realize what is involved. I tried getting my mom to make me some covers but she doesn't have the time until at least summer. I know she could stictch them pretty nicely though.

Those pics show some NICELY done seats. Only thing I don't like is the stitch pattern going across the bottom cushion, but the job is definitely perfect. Especially impressed that the zippers around the headrest are completely factory (if not better than factory) looking.

But I agree.....rear seat covers would be a must for me if I were to invest all this money in reupholstery. And I'd also want some extra fabric so I can custom-cut it to fit my doorpanelr & rear panels to match the rest.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

Count me out on this one Taras. I think $600 is too steep for me, especially now when I could use the money on another part of the car....

BTW, my dad got all the seats recovered for moms 1965 pontiac(alot of seating space), tops in new vinyl, bottoms in original patterned cloth, and paid just over $600 INSTALLED(and it wasn't a kit), with taxes incl. The work is guaranteed for 10 years, and the materials for 15. If I were to get my seats done, I'd go to the place where these were done, I'll probably get a pair of good seats from a wrecker though,($175 for 2, and I know where there are some), and just do it that way.

Thanks for all the work you've done with Perry, Taras. I love to see the involvement you have for the club.
Taras

Post by Taras »

Bench seats are less work than buckets...
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Well the price can allways be argued, but There is really no reason to get nice front seats if the back is totally stock and diffrent :lol:

So if 595CAD is the price for a set of fronts, then what will a FULL kit cost (Both front seats, Backseat bottom, Backseat toppart)??
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
perry

Post by perry »

Hey NOS21,
That's a good deal for $600.00. I'm inclined to think that your Dad's seats were plain with no pleats and one seam on the front edge. It's also much easier to install covers when you have the seats. I'm offering covers that have to fit like a glove so that anyone can install them. I would also supply instructions and email anyone who had problems with their own installation. Anything is possible so be creative as you like. A front and rear set of covers ready to install will be $1050.00CND. If most people want a 2-tone vinyl, I'll be using a leather looking product with a soft touch. This should make the installation easier for everyone. I'll answer any questions. Perry
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Perry and Taras
I'm very interested and also think that if I do commit, I'd want to do everything, front and rear seats and material to do side panels. If I'm going to do it I'm going to do it right the first time. Has Perry got a price for these other items? What's the waiting period?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
perry

Post by perry »

jschrauwen,
Welcome aboard, It only takes one to get the ball rolling. I can supply the extra material for your doors. Ill even direct you through the process of installation. What is your material of choice? What colours or any other questions.
Thanks, Perry
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

i'm just saying it's too much money to invest on something like that. I could use the money for my strut/spring combination, which is $700. I still have to come up with the 102 bucks for the shift and e-brake boots so.... yeah I think seat re-upolstery is out of the question for me.

Return to “Appearance”