Any KL-ZE's in Europe

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
UKMX-3

Any KL-ZE's in Europe

Post by UKMX-3 »

Aside from my rather ill fated attempt how many of you guys have a KL-ZE fitted to your MX-3.

I seem to be hitting a few snags in the ECU and Wiring departments.

Anyone give me any clues about fitting a late 95 KL-ZE
I have a 1997/98 model with What appears to be the ODB2 module
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

Jep, A Klze from Holland, in fact, we sell klze engines and swaps. My own black mx has a klze in it for almost two years now and still going very strong. But within a month she'll have a nice kompressor by her side to push her to 300bhp.

We did put a klze into a 98 mx-3 (a longneck yehhh!), it had a few snags. But nothing major, just use your own ecu, buy a kl02 vaf and install a fpr. The fpr should be set at around 40psi, have to check up for the precise psi. That way it should work, we also had it put on a dyno................................and it had 195hp to the crank, to tooooooo bad I would say!

Bastian
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.
tocixxx

Post by tocixxx »

Yes, me !
I put in a KL-ZE !
92 GS-R, RX-8 Lightning Yellow, Complete Aresspeed Bodykit
http://www.cardomain.com/id/tocixxx
Mazda Speed & Style Club Austria http://www.mazdaclub.at
UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

So are you guys using a K8 ECU and a KL-DE VAF to run the engine?

If so how did it go? Did you have the K8 ECU Remapped/Reprofiled?
tocixxx

Post by tocixxx »

Im´m using KL36 ECU /JE50 Combo without any mapping on my KL-ZE
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

He has the newer type of ecu, so the je50 vaf with a kl36 or kl31 ecu won't go, because the connectors won't fit.

we used the original ecu, just as is. We used the fpr to correct the fuel delivery, and ofcourse the probe/mx6 vaf and it'll run quite nice on it as tested on the dyno.

Hope I could be of any help, because when we did the swap for a customer we had to find out the hard way.

Bastian
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.
tocixxx

Post by tocixxx »

Hey Bastian

Do youe mean the 4 connector type ??

did you try a KL62 + MAF from Eunos 800 ?
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

I haven't tried the kl62 with a maf, because I didn't need it for my own setup. With a maf wired in you still need to get the mtx to work, since it's made for an atx. I've pulled it from a j-spec xedos9 but never did anything with it.

Bastian
UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

Cool, Will it work if I have A KL-DE VAF/MAF and use a Remapped K8 ECU?
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

It depends on the reprogramming? What data is programmed on it?

Bastian
UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

Bastian,

Did you say you've done a swap for a customer....it might be easier for me to just drive my car to you and let you do the work.

Aside from the fact that my steering is on the wrong side do you think you'd be able to do the whole swap for me?

How much would it be ?
mmac
Supporting Member

KLZE in Europe

Post by mmac »

I've got the KLZE as well but mine is a 1994 so it uses the 3 connector ECU and so I use KL31/KL36 ECU or a remapped(to KL36) K8 ECU with the standard MX-3 VAF(JE50).

I would have thought your options for ECU/VAF combo would be :

1/ As Bastian said a KL62 ECU with MAF, but that might require rewiring the loom in the engine bay to connect to the MAF.(IanL might be the man for guidance with that, he seems to have wiring diagrams for everything!!)

2/An ECU from 1995 onwards MX-6(I don't know the part number), provided that it has 4 connectors, and a MX-6 VAF(KL02). The car should run perfectly well on this though the VRIS points won't be 100% correct and as a result you might be down a few bhp(not much though)

3/ Rewiring the loom connectors that go to your ECU from 4 plugs to 3 plugs(IanL definitely has info on this). This should allow you to use a KL31 or KL36 ECU with your MX-3 VAF(JE50)

As for your reprogrammed ECU, it depends on whether it was a custom reprogram or standard remap.

If it was a custom reprogram it should have been tailored specifically for the component setup in your car at the time, so if you had your MX-3 VAF in there then that should be what it was programmed for.

If it was just a standard remap it gets a bit more dodgy. If they remapped it to KL62 in theory you PROBABLY need a MAF. If they have managed to remap it to KL31 or KL36 then you PROBABLY need the MX-3 VAF. Notice my use of PROBABLY because the only folk that should know for sure are the company that reprogrammed your ECU(It was DASTEK wasn't it?).

By the way seen you driving past (in Dyce) quite a bit.
UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

Are you the guy who got the C/F clusters at the back a couple weeks after me?

If you are I was cursing you for days!!!!!

Who did the work on yours?
mmac
Supporting Member

Post by mmac »

Yeah, though mine are black not C/F.

and

Did the swap myself
UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

Cool, well done on putting it in yourself and sorting all the ECU pitfalls.

do you have a PRM Induction kit on? I was sure i saw you installing one at somepoint....

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”