'92 Drift Kit, install questions

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
csdude

'92 Drift Kit, install questions

Post by csdude »

I had posted on here before that I had bought a Drift kit for my '92, but just got around to starting the install last night.

I successfully installed the front bumper, which I figured would be the hardest part (took about 3 hours by myself). There are a few minor details that I'm not 100% sure about, and I'm hoping someone that's done this before can point me in the right direction.

1. The passenger side section matched up perfectly with the wheel well, but the drivers side is a bit off. It's about 1" from matching up flush with the wheel well on that side. The bumper is pressed up completely against the frame, though, so it's not like there's any more room to give. Is there something I should be taking off, or is this pretty common?

2. When I close the hood, there's a major gap there. I can literally put my whole hand in the gap here, and it's very obvious. I don't think that anything could be removed that would push it upwards like this, so is there something I'm supposed to buy to raise that up?

3. There is a center piece that goes literally from one headlight to another that's used to help mount it. I don't know what it's called, but it's 2 pieces: the top piece has 4 bolts in it, and I drilled 4 holes in the bumper to push these through. Then, a bottom piece matches up to it, and that bottom piece is the one that I think has mounting brackets. Anyway, this piece started to crack the bumper when I put it on snug, and I had to take the nuts off of the 2 bolts on the sides (so now, it's just being held on by the two middle bolts). Is this normal, or indicative of something not being installed right?

4. The OEM bumper had signal lights on the side and front, but the new bumper only has a place for them on the side. Is there a way to fit the signal light in the front?

5. Last question. For the signal light on the sides, how are you supposed to mount them? The bumper just has an empty hole that the light will slide all of the way through, and there's nothing anywhere near it that I could even screw a new bracket to.

I apologize if any of my questions seem ignorant. I'm not new to customization, but I'm usually an interior-and-stereo guy; this is my first body kit, and I just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid!
95mx3

Post by 95mx3 »

i have the same problem with my drift front... now i have a diff rear but the passenger side fits up perfect and driver side doesnt. havent had time to mess with it b/c its very cold out haha. about the signal lights... i custom mounted them on the bottom of the actual bumper support. drilled two holes and put about 3 or 4 inch screws up through the plastic support of the light into the bumper. (now keep in mind this IS NOT the bumper cover its the actual plastic bumper support). it looks very cool and u can only see them when they flash. if ur confused feel free to email me for detailed pictures at E1999EternalBTNH@aol.com just lemme know what pics u want and ill go out and take them for ya!
95 Mazda MX-3 DOHC 4cyl.. 17's, Cat Back w/ 4.5in Tip, Custom Int.(CF Bezel,White and Black, 7"AutoMeter Tach, 4 Neons Hit W/ Bass, $375 Kenwood Headunit), $1300 Custom System(Including 2.25Farad Cap. Custom Built Box w/ 2 cut outs for 6x9's, 2 12" Infinity's, 1200w Amp, 4 tweeters. It might not be as fast, but it sure as hell looks and sounds better than a Honda! CF Invert. hood! Primer&Fittin Drift Front and Sides w/ K-Max Rear.
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

I had a very hard time making my rfrt bumper fit too. there was alot of cracking noises when I basically had to reshape the top into the bracket you have 2 bolts in to get the other two in. Just be patient. I too have no place for signal lights OR Parking lenses(all 4) on my kit so I decided to go and buy aftermarket Led ones that are smaller and more attractive looking from my local auto parts store (cost is about 12 bucks apiece) They aren't in yet but they will look great AND there won't be another car with the same ones. good luck and check out my picks for any help

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/655730

will

Return to “Appearance”