pistons

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
schwankesmx3

pistons

Post by schwankesmx3 »

ok im rebuilding a motor for the mx its a dohc1.6 and im having trouble finding high compression pistons and yes i have already called wisco they dont make those 14:1 piston all they make is a 8.7:1 and todaracing has some but 880bucks is alil too much for my taste .. im rebuilding the 1.6 for a 1.6 all motor class at my track and i was wanting around 11-14:1 compression soo any help is good thanks yall and you will see a 1.6dohc n/a hit the 13's and with a little bit of nos 12's and dont say it cant cause that will drive me more to go lower
3-1-0 RACING club PREZ.
94' mx-3.....was all motor now awd bpt
91' 323....daily driver
78' cutless coupe...bad a-- mofo v8
95' eclipse gsx......awd turbo 11.4 eta
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

14:1 compression? why? there's no need. 12.5:1 is about right for a potent N/A set-up with the right cams etc. Search in the Honda-tech all motor forum and just see what is and isnt working for those guys (i know its not the same but there are little things that help). JE pistons will make you whatever kind of piston you want. i'm sure you already know this but i would get a piston a little less than half a point lower than your end result ratio because boring it, resurfacing the head/block, and cleaning the combustion chambers will all yeild a higher compression ratio.
you'll need different rods, valve train, crazy cams, alot of porting and polishing, an ignition system, fuel pump/injectors, custom header, and an intake manifold similar to the venom or DH-racing(both for hondas, again just for an idea). and you would need a stand alone to tune plus you would need the higher redline.
what im getting at is there is alot more to be done than just slapping in some pistons and expecting to run awesome N/A, and it will cost alot. If you are hell bent on going N/A think about the BP: more hp stock, good aftermarket support (toda makes a 11:1 2.0l stroker kit).
i wish you the best of luck.
oh yeah and spraying with 11+ compression ration would be a bad idea IMO. your either build N/A or F/I...
Last edited by Shady469 on January 5th, 2005, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
phredren

Post by phredren »

These guys that try to go fast all-motor make me laugh. As far as I'm concerned, its pretty stupid to spend big money on an engine when there are readily available turbo engines that BOLT IN to your car. For the money you would spend building an NA motor to run low 13's in an MX3, you could have a turbo engine running 11's. Oh wait, but you wouldn't be able to say your running all-motor.

If I were to go all motor in an MX3, I'd at least start with the BP and not the B6. Not only is it a better engine all-around, but there is a lot more performance parts available for it because of the Miata.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

There is a lot of parts for the 1.6L thanks to the miata too. But this is the qoute I made my final desicion between turboing my 1.6 or going to a 1.8 BP, There is no replacement fro displacement. Always go for higher. I would definantly go BP, get the strocker kit and then go N/A power. It would look so sleeperish. And they also have this for the N/A BP

Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I just got my shipment in for my mazdaspeed pistons earlier today.

10.5:1 compression, and OEM quality. I got new rings with them too and a full engine gasket kit.

Gonna be building this motor to go into my old (now my friends car) Festiva. That mofo will be FAST!! Mazdaspeed camshafts, pistons, solid lifters, we are working on fitting a set of headers too.

Also working on fitting a larger throttle body but i dunno if that'll work out or not.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

you think there is anyway we could try separate builds and see which yeilds the best results? i was looking at a 1/4 mile calculator and a gutted mx-3 should be able to run low 14/high 13s with as little as 160hp (whp im assuming). I plan on the standard p/p valve job and trying those stock 10:1 miata pistons with webcam cams. i figure that should be good for maybe 150ish. we'll see. id be happy with a low 14 sec daily driver. N/A baby, woot!
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

If I were doing an N/A, i'd go with the 2.5 v-6.

No replacement for displacement... 8)

The 4cyls were meant to be turbocharged IMO.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i couldn't agree with you more Jus.Image
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
schwankesmx3

Post by schwankesmx3 »

no im doing a 1.6dohc all-motor if u dont agree then dont post..gro-harlem where did u get those pistons and how much ..thanks shady i didnt know je could make me what i want i will call them tomm. ...im just lookin for pistons that are from 10:1-13:1 in that range....my topend is done im just lookin for a sutiable piston for the bottomend.....thanks guys
3-1-0 RACING club PREZ.
91' 323....daily driver
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

are you planning on running diesel? cause with that comp. ratio you could. if you have it that high it would have to be an all Alcohol car. not streatable by any means. and in a 1.6 it wouldent put out the numbers you would be looking for. if you want to get numbers go with the BP with the 2.0 stroker. you can get 11:1 comp. threw flyin miata. im not tellin gyou its not possable or that you cant. but you cant even run premium gas with it 14:1. you might be able to get away with airplane fuel. but youd have to go to an airport to fill up. with 12:1 you can get away with priemum.
schwankesmx3

Post by schwankesmx3 »

no iwant 12:1 and duh u cant run 93
3-1-0 RACING club PREZ.
91' 323....daily driver
schwankesmx3

Post by schwankesmx3 »

AND I AM DOING THIS ON THE B6 MOTOR AND I WILL NOT SWAP IT FOR ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOO GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3-1-0 RACING club PREZ.
91' 323....daily driver
phredren

Post by phredren »

^ Ok then don't come back crying because you can't run any quicker then a mid 14 :lol:
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

check out this website. There are a lot of cool times on here for different cars.

http://www.dragtimes.com

and look at this one. If it didn't have the big wheels it would be the ultimate sleeper!!! 9.7 in the 1/4mile!!!!! at 30psi!!!!!

http://www.dragtimes.com/1992-Mazda-323 ... -4739.html

maybe u can find a 1.6L or lower that can do lower than 15sec in the 1/4 without nitrous, turbo or supercharger - cause I'd like to see the setup. And if you do it - make sure you post pics of the progress!!!! :P
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
schwankesmx3

Post by schwankesmx3 »

i will run faster than u think im going to trust me ive got more crap up my sleeves than u think.....gro harlem where did u get ur pistions???
3-1-0 RACING club PREZ.
91' 323....daily driver

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”