H.I.D. conversion into civic projectors

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
mx3frik

Re: H.I.D. conversion into civic projectors

Post by mx3frik »

From the slented cutoff at low beam I suppose they're not mounted in the car yet?

Anyone noticed the hotspots? :D It's okay for halogen but I don't think it'll be a good idea just to put in a pnp conversion kit (due to the hot spots and fuzzy cut off)

If it was upto me I'd swap in real xenon/bixenon projectors...

cheers,

E

<small>[ November 10, 2004, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Eugene H. ]</small>
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

well... figured id get more comments than just one on the beam pattern. Thanx for posting my pics mx-3freak! Any more comments?
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

Hey hey,

Don't get me wrong i think the beam pattern's way better than the stock blobs :) and maybe it's an illusion but I think i noticed a bit of blue at the low beam cut off, I think that's a nice touhc.

my earlier post was just answering the very first thread

Do post pics of installed headlights :D

E
Taras

Post by Taras »

Redlined, Mx3-Freak,

Thank you guys for going through and providing the pictures for the Mx-3 community.

Surprisingly, I have expected much worse from the low projector beam than what actually is in the pictures. The cutoff, seems pretty fair without any weird side flares that have been seen in the cheap made aftermarket "projector" headlights.

The spread is of course something to be desired better. May be it is a bit biased to a narrower focus due to the 15ft distance that you used. It's got a funny "three beam" pattern, where you have a central blob of light and two smaller on each of the side. Ultimately, you want all three connected, otherwise you will have to distinct shadow regions from each headlamp when seen on the ground. I am sure that they will blend in a bit once you have installed and aligned them. Of course my comparisons are to the best of the best, so this is decent for the price and definitely should be better than stockers, especially with good H1 bulb ran though a relayed harness.

The high beams seem pretty good. May not as narrow of the angle as some European high beams get, but fairly focused.

Look forward to seeing how they look on the ground and your comments on driving with them at night.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

thanx Eugene and JDM for the replies and do I ever hope that they are better then those stock flashlights! I really would like to get an HID kit and mount them into these projectors. I just do not want to blind everyone and waste 500 dollars on a useless bulb. I know putting an HID kit into the new projectors will provide a much effect and lighting than to install the kit into the stock housings. I am looking at a 4300k kit with ballasts and wondering if I can put these in or not? There is a warning label on the housing itself which says "NO HID ALLOAD" so someone obviously cant spell. lol. But does this mean that the HID will burn the lense possibly or could just be a precation to retrofitting? I really want the HID lighting system due to the amount of driving that I do, proper lighting is crucial in this area and the money will be well worth it. Any more response greatly appreciated. Thanx everyone!
:2thumbsup:
Taras

Post by Taras »

Well,
If you are really after a great lighting, here are a few pieces for you.

HID pulls 35W, so they run cooler than 55w halogen bulb in its place. Do not worry.

HID kits could be a waste of money. I would definitely be concern if there are alrady misspelled works on the package. The reason is not enirely poor light quality and excessive glare. The main reason is lack of quality. MOst kits are made in Asia and are of substandard quality. Some are really good copies of Philips and Hella products but still with poor quality. You get what you pay for. To copy the technology is easy, but to make in last in a harsh user environent it needs a lot of perfection. Some of the issues I have seen people reporting are:
-strange colours from the HID capsule (pink, green)
-one capsule will be mismatched to another (one bluer or greener than other)
-capsule blows up inside your lamp fixture (imagine a bomb at 25psi)
-weird start-up issues, one flickers or starts and shuts down.
-poor wirining harnesses, melting, intermittment connection (you can fix this by making your own)
-failing ballasts
-etc

So, yeah it seams cheap enough to buy a kit for $300, but if it is a major headache, then it becomes a regretful decidion.

THe other thing that you need to seriously consider is the postpurchase support. A lot of these retailers are a fly-by-night operation. They go out of business or get shut down by government. Just check THIS link and you will see that it is real. Even the ones that do survive may not be able to get you replacement parts. "Why do I need replacement parts?" You say. "Can't I use OEM Hid componenets if one fails?" No. Most kit manufacturers have thir own bulb to ballast plug connections and it's hard to adapt OEM ballast to a rebased bulb. You are dealing with High Voltage wires there. And bulbs are a definite no fit from an OEM, unless you retrofit yourself.

If that would be me, I would throw out that H1 halogen projector of yours and find something similar from an OEM HID collection and retrofit it that way. YOu can use OEM D2S HID capsule and ballasts. You will know the difference. As an alternative you can get a set of Valeo H7 Halogen projectors out of earlier Audi A4 and they are known to adapt quite well to HID capsule. But because ot that fit, they do not sell for much less than real HID projectors.

You have mentioned $500.00. For that you can buy a great set of OEM HID projectors, Ballasts and Capsules and even have money left over.

Good luck, hope you will see the light (pun intended)
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I just found my projectors to be H3 lamps, not H1 as previously stated. :o Don't know about the other guys. Maybe they can double check too???

The only difference it probably makes is if you buy a H1 HID kit based on the info here and then find you needed a H3 kit. Better check yours first before laying out any cash!!

<small>[ November 17, 2004, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: Grants ]</small>
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Taras

Post by Taras »

Originally posted by Grants:
I just found my projectors to be H3 lamps, not H1 as previously stated. :o Don't know about the other guys. Maybe they can double check too???

Well, that explains it why there is no spread to the beam of those projectors. That is too bad. An H1 is at least somehow similar to ah HID capsule by having a logitudinal element, an H3 is transverse, like 9004. Now with HID in place of H3 your optics will really be screwed.

Funny, H3 is a fog light bulb and usually produces a nice even wide and short beam in proper optics. Hella uses it in it's driving lights too with moderate success to those that are H1 or H7 based. Again, it all comes down to proper optics in a first place....
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

nope mine are h1
Redlined

Post by Redlined »