Map lighting

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
TysonB

Map lighting

Post by TysonB »

I purchaced the car and this feture has never worked...My map lights both work fine by button...and the fuse is fine...I think the problem is the switch from door to off...the part that is supposed to turn the lights on when a door is opened...I can open a door and the lights do not turn on either passenger or driver side...does anyone know where I can get a replacement? or if infact that is the problem...
Grants
BANNED Member

Re: Map lighting

Post by Grants »

Your door chime work ok?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

You can get the door switches from Mazda for under $10. There is one screw and a wire that hold the switch in. I think it is a really poor design because water gets in the switch and corrodes the contacts. The new switch has a rubber boot on it to keep moisture out. I hope this helps.
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
TysonB

Post by TysonB »

thanks guys Ill try that
Taras

Post by Taras »

Or you can clean your old switches.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

If your door chime works it won't be the door switches.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

I cleaned one switch (took it all apart, sanded it etc.) and it worked for a couple of months and then it stopped working again. The other switch, I couldn't clean enough to get it to work.
Matthew Monid

reprobation

Post by reprobation »

We have a door chime?
I have a '94 RS and have NEVER heard a door chime... rofl... wtf? (and yes... my lights do go off and on as they are supposed to when the door opens/closes) i also replaced the bulbs with 168's not 192's.. (maybe it was the other way around... ionno) but it gives a nice very light glow to the car.. not the over powering blinding bright white light from the dome... :D

-chris
1994 RS DOHC, Modified Cold Air Intake, Clear Corners all around, Black Altezza Tail lights. Blue cold cathodes in driver / passenger foot areas. Lowerd on Evotion Springs (1.75 drop F/R) with KYB GR2 struts. Sitting on 17x7 (40 mm offset) 5 Spoke rims with KUHMO 205/40/R17 Tires.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/807557
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

yup, i don't have a door chime either....i have a "beep beep beep" that goes on when i insert the key & open the door though. There is also a beep if I leave the parking or headlights on & take the key out of the ignition.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

That annoying beep beep is what I meant as a door chime. Can't even sit in the car with the door open with the keys in the ignition without it driving me insane.
TysonB

Post by TysonB »

well I havnt thought of actually doing anything about it yet...I think tomorrow that will be the first thing I do is take it apart (the lil swith I mean) I never have any signal chime for anything so its probably not functioning...which is probably what is causeing the light to not turn on aswell...well Ill figure it out in the morning b4 work...thanks for the tips...
TysonB

Post by TysonB »

OK really annoyed...no chyme or lights...uhh that little door switch seems like its fine...I have the one with a rubber boot...(maybe replaced? b4 I bought the car) but my car is a 96 so maybe it came like that...iono EITHER way...it all looks good :'-( it just doesnt function...ok im gonna sand the **** outa it anyways and then see...anyone know where that wire leads to? maybe i can check that connection...SIGH getting frustrated...

bloody mazda dealership wants a helli lotta money per hour to check stuff out uhh im no billionare so I gotta do it myself...with ur guys' help THX I love this community
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

The one with the rubber boot is the replacement... I have the same thing. I did exactly what you said about sanding it (the metallic contact). The wire that is attached to the switch must go to the lights (I am not 100% certain). When you open the passenger door, does your car beep at you? I am not sure if you knew this, but the switch must be completely installed before it will work, because that is how it is grounded. Good luck!
Matthew Monid

TysonB

Post by TysonB »

yes I have tried both passenger and driver side doors...I took em both out and sanded them both still nada...I dont hear chymes or have lights come on...and they are installed by that I mean connected to the frame...errrr I am getting the electrical schematics so I can diagnose this myself...screw going to the mazda dealer they gonna charge a fortune...
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

Only $8 per switch...
Matthew Monid

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”