TNS Relay - where is it?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Grants
BANNED Member

TNS Relay - where is it?

Post by Grants »

Can anybody tell me where the TNS relay is located on a 93 model?

I can find it on the wiring diagram but it doesn't tell me where it is.

I've traced a fault to either there or the switch but I really need to find the relay first so I can test it. Any help would be much appreciated.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
mx3frik

Re: TNS Relay - where is it?

Post by mx3frik »

Under the dash on top of the clutch pedal (or where it would be) there's a row of 5 relays. Can't consult my wiring diagram atm but I want to say it's the 3rd one.

Let us know,

Eugene
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Thanks Eugene, thats where the indicator flash unit is too? I did have a look there but couldn't see a relay with the right wires at it. I'll have another look and see what I can find.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Taras

Post by Taras »

TNS Relay is the one that is farthest from the firewall. There are two by the firewall, and then the cluster of three. It's the middle one in between the three. Hope it helps.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Thanks, maybe there's a difference between the Australian and Canadian models (we don't have DRLs for example) because I haven't got all those relays. There is none on the firewall but there a small cluster (including flasher unit). These all seem to be OK but I'll give it another go tonight.

I sourced some diagrams which are supposed to be for a 93 model but they don't match the car. The colour coding is definitely different and the plug layout for the column switch is completely different. If I had the right diagram I reckon I could find the fault. At least I'm learning something!

Bloody frustrating though!
Taras

Post by Taras »

May be swing by your dealer and thay may let you have a peek at the diagram in the shop. Mine does.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Well, the relays just aren't there! Not anywhere I can find. There's only one under the dash and 4 more in the engine bay near the firewall which I think are A/C relays.

If I power up the bottom of the tail light fuse the lights work fine (but of course no switch). Where the cable goes from the top of the fuse which should go to the TNS relay is a mystery.

I can't believe power could be supplied directly through the column switch so I'm at a dead loss. The TNS relay must exist. The only thing left before taking it to the auto electrician is pulling off the front of the dash and seeing if any relays are hidden from view from below. All I need to do is find that bloody relay and my problems are solved (maybe)!

JDM, the dealer would be a good option for the diagram but I'd still need to know the physical location of the relay. The front counter guys probably wouldn't know so I'd probably still be a dead end. Besides, there are no Eunos dealers anymore so it would have to be Mazda and hope for the best. I'll try it as a last resort to the auto spark.

Has nobody come across this configuration before? March 93, Eunos 30X, manual, right hand drive, no air bag or cruise control?

<small>[ July 28, 2004, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Grants ]</small>
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

Have you tried taking the glove box out and look above it? I'm not sure if everything's mirrored when they swtich the steering wheel but I'd bet it's under the dash somewhere.

Try turning the headlight on/off and follow the clicking assuming they still have the relays clustered. You mentioned you don't have DRL then you don't be confused by the DRL module clicking :)

Good luck and get back to us on this,

Eugene
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Problem solved (or will be tomorrow).

I gave up and called an auto electrician and he was as baffled as me. He was convinced there had to be relays too and we virtually stripped the car looking. All his diagrams also indicated relays. We eventually found that there is no TNS relay, headlight relay or horn relay. The column switch switches the full power.

I had previously looked at the column switch but couldn't remove it without one of those 90 degree ratchet screwdrivers so I figured if I found the TNS relay everything could be tested from there (ie if I had + to one contact, + to the coil and then applied ground to the other side of the coil it should all work).

But thats where the problem was. I would have expected a bit of intermittant operation if it was the switch but it just stopped dead. Its dosed up with WD-40 and is working OK at the moment. Tomorrow I'll put a new switch in.

Thanks for your help, and even though I was barking up the wrong tree I certainly know a lot more about the car now!
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

That's weird you don't have the relays but hey at least you got it figured out!

Any chance you can take pics of your installation? Haven't seen a right hand drive mx taken apart yet. :)

Eugene
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Eugene, I don't need to pull it apart again now I know its just the switch, just the steering column covers. The switch mechanism that needs replacing is only about 4" x 3" and thankfully isn't the whole stalk / wiper controller, etc.

The old switch is still working so I decided I'll leave it in until it goes again. At least I know what it is so can go straight to the dealer if it fails.

I'll definitely get some pics and set up some web space next time I need to do anything semi-major. Should have been taking some to date!!!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”