No power at tail light fuse

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Grants
BANNED Member

No power at tail light fuse

Post by Grants »

I've lost my tail / dash / fog lights. I've checked all the fuses and found there is no power at the "taillight" fuse. I assume this should power up when the switch is turned on.

It could be the switch but the headlights still work so at least that part of the switch is OK.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or know what is meant to power up when the switch is turned on? Is there a relay or something somewhere? Any help would be much appreciated!!!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Tempus

Re: No power at tail light fuse

Post by Tempus »

Don't assume the switch is good just because the headlights come on.

If those are on a seperate fuse from the headlights then it means a seperate circuit. That means a seperate 'pole' within the switch for the tail lights, dash etc.. It's entirely possible that pole of the switch is bad, or a connector at the switch has come loose, etc.

However you're going to need a wiring diagram to know if the switch is 'upstream' of that fuse or not.. If the switch comes after the fuse

batt --- fuse --- switch --- lights

Then the problem is somewhere between the fusebox and the battery, perhaps inside the fusebox itself.

Are you sure you are measuring from the correct side of the fuse connection? Actually if the entire circuit is good, you should be able to measure 12v across the fuse terminals when something running off that fuse is turned on.. Depending on the arrangement of the electrical, there's other tests you can do at that point to determine if an open connection exists 'upstream' or 'downstream' of that point.

<small>[ July 25, 2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Tempus ]</small>
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
Grants
BANNED Member

Re: No power at tail light fuse

Post by Grants »

Thanks Tempus, yes definitely no power at the fuse - either side. The fuse box and any plugs I can find look OK too.

You're right about the wiring diagram, knowing when there should be power at the fuse is pretty critical to give me somewhere to start. A wiring diagram would also tell me if the stalk switch activates a relay which could be possible given the amount of things the switch turns on ie tails, parkers, dash, fog light controls.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”